How can I install linux tools of an older kernel?

Hi there,

I am a newbie,

I am running kernel 4.19 KDE

I installed slimbook battery and it says “it is recommended to install linux tools for your kernel version”

In the repository there is only linux-tools-meta of kernel 5.17 (is it what I am looking for anyway?)

How can I install linux tools of kernel 4.19

Thank you in advance

Hi @auo,

While I’ve never heard of the package, there does seem to be something like it in the community repository:

$ pamac  search linux-tools                     
[...]
linux-tools-meta                                                                                                                                                                                                                         5.17-1   community
Linux kernel tools meta package

And it does seem to contain many a thing regarding power-management:

$ pamac info linux-tools-meta
Name                  : linux-tools-meta
Version               : 5.17-1
Description           : Linux kernel tools meta package
URL                   : https://www.kernel.org
Licences              : GPL2
Repository            : community
Groups                : --
Depends On            : bootconfig bpf cgroup_event_listener cpupower hyperv perf tmon turbostat usbip x86_energy_perf_policy
Optional Dependencies : --
Provides              : --
Replaces              : --
Conflicts With        : acpidump
Packager              : Sébastien Luttringer <seblu@seblu.net>
Build Date            : Sat 26 Mar 2022 01:15:07
Validated By          : MD5 Sum  SHA-256 Sum  Signature

So you can always install that and see if it solves your problem:

pamac install linux-tools-meta

Hope this helps!

And P.S.:

Is there any specific reason you don’t upgrade to a newer kernel?

Hey thanks for the advice,

I have downloaded

linux-tools-meta 5.17 from pamac, slimbook battery still says that I need linux tools for my kernel version.

I am using kernel 4.19 because in other kernels (5 upwards) my Apple converted laptop does not go into sleep mode (only 4.14 and 4.19 work, wonder why?)

But in your initial post you said
that some command yielded not a need, but a recommendation
to have that.

There is no kernel specific version it seems - it (linux-tools) is a collection of software that works for all kernels
at least so it seems.

So, the “slimbookbattery” software should now have everything it needs or can utilize to do whatever you might want to use it for.

yes you are right it is a recommendation, :nerd_face:

So thank you I think it (slimbook battery) is working well. I will just ignore the comment box at app launch.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.