How can I install Brother DCP-J105 drivers?

Hi, guys!
I used to install the .rpm or .deb Brother DCP-J105 drivers using the console on Ubuntu, but in Manjaro I’ve never done that before since it doesn’t support the file extensions mentioned? I remember enabling them when I was using EndeavourOS, but I don’t remember nothing but doing it through a web browser configuration as I was told. Could you please give me a hand on this?

-Alex.

PS.- It’s been using wirelessly, though.

Just a search: AUR (en) - Packages

The AUR Script converts the rpm package into a native tar.zst one and install it.

pamac build brother-dcpj105

Thank you, @megavolt.
I’ve downloaded the drivers, unzip and opened up a console to install them, but it responded me with “Error: target not found”. I first tried the officials and then the ones from AUR, and it was the same result:

pamac build linux-brprinter-installer-2.2.3-1
Error: target not found
pamac build dcpj105cupswrapper-3.0.0-1.i386.rpm
Error: target not found

Dear @alro7779 :wink:

pamac needs recipe to convert it which is retrieved from the AUR database. It retrieves and converts the rpm package automatically.

Maybe the pointing finger emoji was not noticed.
Use the command @megavolt supplied in his first response to you.

pamac build brother-dcpj105                                                                                                                            ✔ 
Preparing...
Checking brother-dcpj105 dependencies...
Checking lib32-libstdc++5 dependencies...
bsdtar: Failed to set default locale
Resolving dependencies...
Checking inter-conflicts...

To install (21):
  m4                   1.4.19-1                                   core       264.5 kB
  autoconf             2.71-1                                     core       660.7 kB
  pkgconf              1.8.0-1                                    core       59.0 kB
  flex                 2.6.4-3                                    core       304.4 kB
  gc                   8.2.0-3    (Required By: make)             core       237.4 kB
  guile                2.2.7-2    (Required By: make)             core       6.6 MB
  make                 4.3-3                                      core       493.2 kB
  bison                3.8.2-4                                    core       788.3 kB
  patch                2.7.6-8                                    core       94.7 kB
  automake             1.16.5-1                                   core       627.5 kB
  lib32-libtasn1       4.18.0-1   (Required By: brother-dcpj105)  multilib   39.9 kB
  lib32-p11-kit        0.24.1-1   (Required By: brother-dcpj105)  multilib   357.4 kB
  lib32-gmp            6.2.1-1    (Required By: brother-dcpj105)  multilib   289.7 kB
  lib32-nettle         3.8-1      (Required By: brother-dcpj105)  multilib   338.5 kB
  lib32-libjpeg-turbo  2.1.3-1    (Required By: brother-dcpj105)  multilib   214.8 kB
  lib32-libtiff        4.4.0-3    (Required By: brother-dcpj105)  multilib   213.7 kB
  lib32-libpng         1.6.37-3   (Required By: brother-dcpj105)  multilib   132.8 kB
  lib32-gnutls         3.7.6-1    (Required By: brother-dcpj105)  multilib   875.4 kB
  lib32-libcups        2.4.2-1    (Required By: brother-dcpj105)  multilib   249.3 kB
  rpmextract           1.0-9      (Required By: brother-dcpj105)  extra      2.5 kB
  tcsh                 6.24.01-2  (Required By: brother-dcpj105)  community  388.5 kB
To build (2):
  lib32-libstdc++5     3.3.6-8                                    AUR
  brother-dcpj105      3.0.0-668                                  AUR

Total download size: 13.3 MB
Total installed size: 67.5 MB

Edit build files : [e] 
Apply transaction ? [e/y/N]

Should I apply transaction?

but of course - you want to build and install it
All the other things are prerequisites and thus needed.

hit “y”
or just Enter

In fact, you should first install:
base-devel

it is a group of packages needed to deal with AUR packages.
… install all of them!
pamac install base-devel

then proceed with:

pamac build brother-dcpj105

Transaction successfully finished.
OK, now I can install the drivers as I tried at the beginning or are they installed already?
EDIT: That base-devel installation you mentioned to do “before” arrived to my screen “after” the installation of the drivers. Could I do it now anyway?

not quite sure - they should be installed
… what was the output before:
Transaction successfully finished ?

It’s quite verbose, usually.
Tells you what was done.

Building brother-dcpj105...
==> Making package: brother-dcpj105 3.0.0-668 (Mon Aug 29 12:47:08 2022)
==> Checking runtime dependencies...
==> Checking buildtime dependencies...
==> Retrieving sources...
  -> Downloading dcpj105cupswrapper-3.0.0-1.i386.rpm...
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
100   296  100   296    0     0    735      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--   734
100 16477  100 16477    0     0  19824      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 19824
  -> Downloading dcpj105lpr-3.0.0-1.i386.rpm...
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
100   288  100   288    0     0    599      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--   598
100 3101k  100 3101k    0     0  1102k      0  0:00:02  0:00:02 --:--:-- 3058k
==> Validating source files with md5sums...
    dcpj105cupswrapper-3.0.0-1.i386.rpm ... Passed
    dcpj105lpr-3.0.0-1.i386.rpm ... Passed
==> Removing existing $srcdir/ directory...
==> Extracting sources...
  -> Extracting dcpj105cupswrapper-3.0.0-1.i386.rpm with bsdtar
  -> Extracting dcpj105lpr-3.0.0-1.i386.rpm with bsdtar
==> Entering fakeroot environment...
==> Starting package()...
==> Tidying install...
  -> Removing libtool files...
  -> Purging unwanted files...
  -> Removing static library files...
  -> Stripping unneeded symbols from binaries and libraries...
  -> Compressing man and info pages...
==> Checking for packaging issues...
==> Creating package "brother-dcpj105"...
  -> Generating .PKGINFO file...
  -> Generating .BUILDINFO file...
  -> Adding install file...
  -> Generating .MTREE file...
  -> Compressing package...
==> Leaving fakeroot environment.
==> Finished making: brother-dcpj105 3.0.0-668 (Mon Aug 29 12:47:14 2022)
==> Cleaning up...

Checking keyring...                                                                                                                                              [1/1]
Checking integrity...                                                                                                                                            [1/1]
Loading packages files...                                                                                                                                        [1/1]
Checking file conflicts...                                                                                                                                       [1/1]
Checking available disk space...                                                                                                                                 [1/1]
Installing brother-dcpj105 (3.0.0-668)...                                                                                                                        [1/1]
  NOTE 1: Remember to add user to lp group using 
  gpasswd -a USER lp
  NOTE 2: Remember to logout after adding groups
  NOTE 3: Remember to execute as root the following executable:
  /opt/brother/Printers/dcpj105/cupswrapper/cupswrapperdcpj105
  NOTE 4: x86_64 users should also install 'lib32-libcups' package
Running post-transaction hooks...
Arming ConditionNeedsUpdate...                                                                                                                                   [1/2]
Refreshing PackageKit...                                                                                                                                         [2/2]
Transaction successfully finished.

Yes.
Better if you need to deal with AUR packages in the future.

it is installed:

Installing brother-dcpj105 (3.0.0-668)...  

also heed the other advice in the messages:

gpasswd -a USER lp

I’m doing this:

gpasswd -a USER lp
  NOTE 4: x86_64 users should also install 'lib32-libcups' package

The step 3 responded this:

sudo /opt/brother/Printers/dcpj105/cupswrapper/cupswrapperdcpj105                                                                                      ✔ 
[sudo] password for alejandro: 
lpadmin -p DCPJ105 -E -v usb:/dev/usb/lp0 -P /usr/share/cups/model/Brother/brother_dcpj105_printer_en.ppd
lpadmin: Printer drivers are deprecated and will stop working in a future version of CUPS.

The printer now appears on System Settings/Printers:

When I click on “Print Test Page” it doesn’t do nothing, just “Waiting for printer to become available.”

Not sure, but there must be a checkbox at the settings to activate the printer. At least on system-config-printer I can see it. I am not using KDE.

How can I check the CUPS status? Maybe it’s an issue related to that.
EDIT: If I open the Printer Configuration:

As you can see, on Connection says usb:/dev/usb/lp0, which is not what I want since it’s been using wirelessly. Maybe I should change that path. :thinking:

No idea… I mean this here:

grafik

I opened up system-config-printer and I changed the path to use the ipp protocol, and it worked! Now I just need the scan working as well, because if I open Skanlite up, this appears:
Skanlite
Should I use the pamac build brscan4 command this time? Well, I did it but it keeps telling me that no devices found.

EDIT: I did what it recommends here:

Installing brscan4 (0.4.11_1-1)...                                                                                                                               [1/1]
Find additional documentation about scanner driver install at:
http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bsc/public_s/id/linux/en/instruction_scn1.html
For a network installation run the following as root:
brsaneconfig4 -a name="Brother" model="YOURMODELHERE" ip=YOUR.SCANNER.IP.HERE

Now the scanner is working too!!!

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.