How can I compile stable mesa with hardware codec support?

I run Stable Manjaro KDE on Xorg, and my video hardware is an AMD Radeon RX 590. I want to compile mesa to get hardware decoding of h264 and h265 videos, but I want the same release of mesa as in the stable repository to avoid any problems from putting an untested mesa release in amongst the packages from the stable repository.

If I git clone Packages / Extra / mesa · GitLab and edit the PKGBUILD to add -D video-codecs=vc1dec,h264dec,h264enc,h265dec,h265enc, the resulting build gets the same mesa version number as in the unstable repository, only my build is with hardware support built in.

Where can I find the PKGBUILD for the mesa version in the stable repository?

If the stable PKGBUILD is no longer available, can I edit the PKGBUILD to compile the stable release?

What do I get if I edit pkgver= and pkgrel= to old version number, remove checksums and patch lines and then compile? I tried that, and all the built packages got the correct package version number, but is the content in the packages really the new version of mesa but with the package names with the older version number?

Yes, there are no different PKGBUILDs for each branch. Just look at the version, and switch the branch like:

cd mesa
git checkout 23.1.9

add the line, pkgrel=2 and makepkg. Everything else remains the same.

2 Likes
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.