How can I build a core/extra/community binary from source using the PKGBUILD?

A long time ago I did this, but my google foo isn’t finding the right name. I need to rebuild fprintd from the source to test a bug in the current version. I seem to recall there is some kind of command that allows me to rsync and build the core/extra/community from source (in arch). How can I do this? obviously I will need to modify the PKGBUILD, but I’m pretty sure I can figure that out.

The easiest way is to use yay to download the PKGBUILD from ABS:

• Install required packages if needed:
    sudo pacman -Syu --needed base-devel yay

• Download the PKGBUILD:
    yay -G fprintd

Now change directory to frpintd/ and modify the PKGBUILD.

See here to preserve the modified package so an update won’t replace it.

2 Likes

can I use yay to build the package like it would from AUR? so I don’t have to permanently install the other build dependencies? or is there another way?

Yay is just a wrapper for Pacman, you still need the base-devel group for building packages from the ABS or AUR. You can always remove the group after if you want.

right, but IIRC yay could pull in the build dependencies temporarily if it was on aur, pamac can do that, but sure, thanks for the info.

No, it won’t.

Packages in the AUR assume that the base-devel group is installed, i.e. they do not list the group’s members as build dependencies explicitly.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Arch_User_Repository#Prerequisites

If you enable the AUR in Pamac, it will automatically install the base-devel group.

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.