High Ping When Using Internet. Internet Is Only Good When Connected to a Hotspot

I had internet issues for a while, but for the past day or two it’s gotten weird.
So it was not working at all, but now it started working when I systemctl restart NetworkManager.service && systemctl restart wpa_supplicant.service then I deleted my wifi and reconnected to it. Now every time I use the internet (e.g. open firefox to watch youtube or whatever, or opened steam) it shoots up to high ping (in the thousands) and it also says “Destination Host Unreachable” and “no answer yet for icmp_seq=n,” sometimes it even says that when I use nothing.
I used journalctl -n 0 --follow | grep 'wpa_supplicant\\|kernel\\|NetworkManager and it says things like “CTRL-EVENT-BEACON-LOSS, ‘Reject scan trigger since one is already pending’, ‘AP has invalid WMM params (AIFSN=1 for ACI), will use 2’, CTRL-EVENT-SUBNET-STATUS-UPDATE status=0.” I can connect to my hotspot from my phone and it works absolutely fine, so weird. Meh, oh well I guess, I’ll use my laptop or my phone until/if I ever fix it.

The remedy could be to use a different nameserver.
That is what the symptoms you describe sound like.

The DNS resolver of your provider - which is normally used - may have … issues.

Set one of your own choice.

NetworkManager → edit connection → 5th tab (IP4 settings) → Method: automatic … addresses only
and in the DNS server row below, put your alternative name server (like: 1.1.1.1 or 8.8.8.8 or both, comma separated)
… or some other name server of your choice
1.1.1.1 is cloudflare’s
8.8.8.8 is google’s

I have mine set to 1.1.1.1 already, it’s like one of the first things I did when I installed manjaro.

Hmm - is it actually used?
Did you change from: automatic (dhcp)
to
automatic (dhcp), addresses only
?

If you can:
reboot your router as well
or power cycle it

yeah, it’s being used. I am using manual

Not claiming that I could decipher it or glean useful information from it
but you should perhaps share the full logs - not filtered through your grep filter …
Seeing it in full could enable others to spot … something

I changed my 5GHz SSID so now they are different names, I just appended _5GHz to it, and only connect to the 2GHz one now. It’s been 1.5 days or so and no issues (although I won’t be surprised if it doesn’t fix it, I just wanted to put this here in case it helps anyone else)

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.