Hibernation device ‘UUID=xxx’ not found

Hello!

I ran into a problem that has been discussed in this forum many time before:

and others (but I can only post 5 links).

The dreaded (I assume) Hibernation device UUID=xyz not found. but with a few twists:

In the other threads on this topic, the second line of the error message reads:

mount: /new_root: can’t find ‘UUID=xyz

while in my case it reads:

mount: /new_root: no filesystem type specified...

then, both in my case and the other threads, the rest of the error reads:

You are now being dropped into an emergency shell.
sh: can't access tty: job control turned off

I tried the solution from here and removed the resume=UUID=xyz part from the boot parameters in Grub but this did only change the first line of the error message to ERROR: resume: no device specified for hibernation while the rest of the error (including the drop to emergency shell) stays the same and Manjaro is still not booting.

If I additionally remove a part reading udev.log_priority=3 from the boot parameters, the additional line Starting systemd-udevd version 252.4-2-manjaro appears before the error but still no boot and still the emergency shell.

The OS disk in this laptop is a 512GB NVMe drive that is formatted with BTRFS and encrypted with LUKS. Before this error appeared, the encryption password would have been asked at the point in the boot process where the error now appears.

I wanted to also try the other solution that is presented in almost all of the threads on this topic:

boot from live CD, chroot into old install and change fstab

but this doesn’t work because if I boot into a live CD (I tried Ubuntu 24.04) it doesn’t find the NVMe drive at all, not in df, not in lsblk, not in blkid, not in GParted and not even in /dev/disk/. The BIOS finds the disk but the live OS doesn’t. When I put the disk in a USB enclosure and connect it to another Linux machine, it mounts and all the data is still there.

One weird (?) thing that I noticed about my boot parameters in Grub is that there is root= specified twice. The full line reads:

linux /vmlinuz-5.17-x86_64 root=UUID=an-uuid-that-i-dont-recognize rw rootflags=subvol=@ quiet cryptdevice=UUID=the-uuid-that-the-drive-has-in-fstab:luks-the-same-uuid-from-fstab root=/dev/mapper/luks-the-same-uuid-for-the-third-time apparmor=1 security=apparmor resume=UUID=the-uuid-that-swap-has-in-fstab udev.log_priority=3

Isn’t this one root= too much? When I delete the first one, the error is still Hibernation device UUID=xyz not found.. When I additionally delete the resume=UUID=xyz part, the error again reads ERROR: resume: no device specified for hibernation.

Running blkid in the emergency shell returns nothing, trying lsblk there shows lsblk not found.

What is wrong with my config here? According to the user, the laptop worked fine until it ran out of battery last week and has shown this error since.

I’ll try booting from an actual Manjaro live CD, maybe this will show the disk and enable me to chroot?

Tried booting from a Manjaro live CD now: Also doesn’t find the NVMe…

Lol, found the solution here

The drive was in “raid” mode in BIOS. Switched it to “AHCI” and now everything boots perfectly… :rofl:

Still, that root=UUID parameter is wrong if it’s encrypted device. Also

was EOL 2 years ago.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.