Hey guys i was trying to know if there will be an issue if i tried to install manjaro kde on macbook pro

i got this macbook pro recently and want to install manjaro kde on it but want to know if there will be like an issue or a bug using it so i want to know your opinion on it. Here are the specs detailed

SPECS

• 16.0" widescreen 3072 x 1920 (226 ppi, 500 nits) “Retina” display with True Tone technology
  • 2.4GHz Eight Core 9th Generation i9 processor (Coffee Lake)
  • 64 GB of “onboard” 2666 MHz DDR4 SDRAM
  • 2 TB Flash Storage
  • AMD Radeon Pro 5500M with 8GB of GDDR6 memory
  • Intel UHD Graphics 630 processor that shares memory with the system
  • Redesigned “Scissor” mechanism keyboard
  • Customized “TouchBar” with a separate esc key and a separate “Touch ID” sensor

Hi @ds47x,

Mac is known to cause and have all kinds of problems, since their hardware is proprietary. Have a look here:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Mac

There you’ll find all necessary information regarding this.

Hope it helps!

3 Likes

A simple way to start would download the latest Manjaro iso to a usb drive boot from it and see if everything works before you try to install.

3 Likes

the problem is i cant trust live boot after what happend in my dell desktop, which was working perfect on live usb but got a wifi widget bug which freezes the whole desktop and took me hell to fix

yes it helps its the same but the problem is i love gaming so i want to know how limiting is macbook on linux gaming …after i saw windows bootcamp it kept me wandering and the t2 chipset is worse b/c mouse and keyboard dont work and it has been added to the mainline kernel in 2020 as i saw this post

"Linux support for the Keyboard & Trackpad, the networking drivers, and the T2 security chip only just recently got merged into the mainline Linux Kernel. I’m fairly sure you need at least kernel version 5.4+ to get some of these features working and I believe v5.6 may be necessary for T2 support. I don’t recall which of the post v5.4 releases has T2 support.

Currently you cannot easily install Linux onto an Apple computer which uses the T2 security chip because the Linux Kernel with the T2 support is not included in any of the currently released distributions as a default kernel. If you want to run Linux on this laptop, then you will most likely need to first install Linux to an older Mac or other UEFI booting PC and install the latest v5.6 kernel. I would suggest trying to boot this customized Linux boot disk externally to confirm you use the built-in keyboard, trackpad, and either WiFi or ethernet. Then clone the Linux install to the internal SSD (again you will need a boot disk with support for the T2 security chip).

I do not recommend dual booting this laptop with both macOS and Linux unless you have good backups and are prepared to perform a clean install or restore from backup since you will at some point most likely do something which will prevent either OS from booting and possibly risk losing access to all the data in one or both operating systems.

You cannot disable the T2 chip as it is an integral part of the system. The most you can do is disable some of the security settings to allow a non-Apple OS to boot and to allow booting from an external drive."

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.