Help with triple boot

Hello Everyone,

Actually already have a dual boot with Win10 and Linux Mint(BIOS/MBR). I would like to install Manjaro with KDE DE, this is the
output of the “sudo parted -l” command:

Model: ATA ADATA SU650 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 480GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos
Disk Flags:

Number Start End Size Type File system Flags
1 1049kB 53.5MB 52.4MB primary ntfs boot
2 53.5MB 49.9GB 49.9GB primary ntfs
3 49.9GB 50.5GB 543MB primary ntfs msftres
4 50.5GB 480GB 430GB extended
5 50.5GB 102GB 51.2GB logical ext4
6 102GB 106GB 4095MB logical linux-swap(v1)
7 106GB 157GB 51.2GB logical ntfs
8 157GB 208GB 51.2GB logical ext4
13 208GB 259GB 51.2GB logical ext4
14 259GB 263GB 4095MB logical linux-swap(v1)
9 263GB 315GB 51.2GB logical ext4
10 315GB 319GB 4095MB logical linux-swap(v1)
11 319GB 370GB 51.2GB logical ext4
12 370GB 480GB 110GB logical ext4

I’d to use partition 9 for Manjaro root partition and 10 for swap. In the manual partitioning window of the installer,
i set those 2 partitions, now i don’t know what to choose in the “Install boot loader on:” option, and if i have to create or modify another
partition for the installation continue correctly.

I will appreciate your comments. Thx in advance.

Welcome to the forum! :slight_smile:

You install it in /dev/sda. That puts it in the MBR of the drive.

Do however remember that Manjaro’s GRUB must be the one in control, not Mint’s GRUB, because Manjaro uses a customized version of GRUB. :wink:

manjaro do not support logical vpartition you are using this on MBR to get more than 4 partitions )
calamares version is for each distribution linux , and manjaro do not support lvm partition with install

can you provide

inxi -Mza

Machine: Type: Laptop System: LENOVO product: 2518MHS v: ThinkPad T410 serial:
Chassis: type: 10 serial:
Mobo: LENOVO model: 2518MHS serial: BIOS: LENOVO v: 6IET85WW (1.45 )
date: 02/14/2013

Where do you get that the OP would be using logical volume management? It is perfectly possible to have that many partitions in an MBR setup, so long as one of the primary partitions is an extended partition container, which will in turn contain logical partitions ─ which is a different thing from LVM.

Calamares certainly does support logical partitions, even if only because the Linux kernel itself doesn’t care about what type of partition it’s on.

1 Like

Having for each system an own swap partition is wasting disk space, you can use just one swap partition for all installed Linux systems. With other words they can share one swap partition as you never run more than one system at a time.

By the way, I’m running my Linux istallations from a logical volume in an extended partition of a msdos parted disk with MBR, this is no problem at all.

1 Like

Yes, but provided that one doesn’t use hibernation, because using a shared swap partition with hibernation could prove very dangerous. :wink:

1 Like

Good point @Aragorn , but using hibernation in a multi Linux system installation sounds to me to be dangerous, in general. For a gpt parted disk (which is not the case here though) systemd automount could mount the “wrong” swap partition with the hibernated system’s data and damage it even if you have the swap partitions separated by indivual fstab entries for each system AFAIK.

1 Like

Here is an screenshot of the manual partitioning windows, i have edited the /dev/sda1 partition and set the mount point to /boot, is this the right way ?

Thx in advance

No, absolutely not! :fearful:

/dev/sda1 is a Windows partition. You most certainly don’t want that mounted at /boot. If you did not create a separate /boot partition, then you should not try mounting anything at /boot, because /boot is where your kernel(s) will be installed, as well as the GRUB runtime stage that presents you with the boot menu.

It is perfectly fine for the contents of /boot to live on the root filesystem, so you don’t need a separate partition for that. But if you do want to have it separate, then you don’t want it on NTFS, and especially not a partition that will be used by Windows.

The rest is okay ─ GRUB on the MBR. :+1:

boot mbr concerns disk ( here /dev/sda ) , not a partition

It’s working. Manjaro with KDE feels a little faster than Linux Mint with Cinnamon in this old laptop. Thx to everyone !

Could you post what you did to succeed, for posterity?

Sure, i just followed the wizard installation, then in the manual partitioning windows i set my root(/) partition, in my case /dev/sda9. Later after installation i enabled a swap partition with the next commands:
sudo mkswap /dev/sda10
sudo swapon /dev/sda10
sudo bash -c “echo UUID=$(lsblk -no UUID /dev/sda10) none swap defaults 0 0 >> /etc/fstab”

That was all. Regards

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.