Help with transferring colour schemes

I created a colour scheme in one user profile and rather than having to make it all again, I want to just transfer it to another user. I found that user generated colour schemes were in the ~/.kde4/share/apps/color-schemes folder, so, using the console, I copied my scheme to the same place in the other user's home.

The trouble is it's arrived as an 'unknown' file type, even though it has the same .colors extension.

What's more, when I go to 'install from file' in the colours manager in settings, it says that none of the schemes in ~/.kde4/share/apps/color-schemes are colour schemes - even the ones like breeze and breath.

So what is a colour scheme file and where are they kept?

~/.local/share/color-schemes/ is the place you want to have them, and the extension is indeed .colors

Sorry, I should have been more clear in my question. I'm fairly sure about what's meant to happen. What I'm really asking about is why it hasn't.

I copied a file desktop2.colors using

sudo cp -r /home/{user1}/.local/share/color-schemes/Desktop2.colors /home/{user2}/.local/share/color-schemes/Desktop2.colors

The file arrived as an 'unknown' type, the color scheme shown on 'settings' is just the default breeze scheme, not the one in 'Desktop2.colors', and when I go to 'install from file' in the colours manager in settings, it says that none of the schemes in ~/.local/share/color-schemes/ are colour schemes.

So I'm wondering what I've done wrong.

With that command you actually prevent the other user to have access to the file the proper way. You have to copy it as THAT user to the proper place.

1 Like

Great, still getting used to all the permissions. All sorted now, thanks for your help.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.