Help with "tablet mode" on Laptop

Hey, a GNU/Linux noob here.

I have a HP Pavilion x360 Convertible Model 14-ba054TX which is a 2-in-1 Laptop/Tablet. I only installed Manjaro KDE Plasma and updated everything a few days ago. So everything should be up to date I think.

My issue is that I don’t get true touchscreen functionality like on a tablet/mobile device. If rotate my laptop or flap the keyboard back, the OS notices it but the only thing that happens is it deactivates the keyboard and touchpad. Everything else stays the same as far as I can tell. The touchscreen works (or doesn’t work) the same in both “modes”. It simply moves and clicks the mouse cursor to the position I tap on the touchscreen. So yes the cursor stays visible and the touchscreen doesn’t have any real touchscreen functionalities like scrolling and multi-finger touch.

I have, through browsing some sites, figured out how to manually rotate the screen and do a matrix transform thingy on the touchpad and touchscreen, so that I can kind of use put the laptop in landscape mode manually at least. But what I want is real touch functionality.

I am using X11. I’ve tried Wayland (by installing plasma-wayland-session) but because my laptop is 1080p the pixels are really small so I have to scale it to 150% and if I do that in Wayland everything is somehow blurry and scaled out of proportion. Scaling is for the most part good on X11. So I mostly use this. In wayland in the display options the checkbox for ‘autorotate’ is greyed out. But to be clear the same thing happens when I rotate my laptop in X11 and Wayland.

My laptop seems to have 2 graphic cards:

card0: NVIDIA GeForce 940MX
card1: Intel HD Graphics 620

That’s about all that I have right now. Any help getting the touchscreen to work correctly would be greatly appreciated.

A touchscreen is nothing more than an advanced mouse. And as it is with advanced mouse hardware - with extra buttons and model specific possibilities it often requires special software to function.

Model specific touchscreen modes seldom work as - most often - they require some Windows specific driver to work.

This is indeed a drawback for Linux - but it is how it is.

We sometimes has to accept the fact that not all hardware are created equal - some hardware is Windows only - for a couple of years - then it may make it’s way to Linux.

I mostly want to read comics in portrait mode. If I could at least hide the cursor in my “tablet mode”, reduce “sensitivity” (by that I mean that if I tap and my finger wobbles a bit, it doesn’t register as a click but as a move event) and enable right-clicking, that would be enough already.

Would that somehow be possible?

I have no idea …

Could you recommend anything that I could try? Would installing xfce or GNOME maybe work?

I doesn’t work “out of the box”, but there must be something that I can try? Why are you so sure that this piece of hardware only works with windows?

I am not - I am just stating a fact - if it don’t work with Linux there is very little the Manjaro team can do to to change it.

Ah so this depends on the Kernel? Trying out GNOME, xfce or other possible packages won’t be able to fix this issue, do I understand this correctly? Like I said I am a GNU/Linux noob so I’m not sure how all of this works yet :slight_smile:

That is not what I am saying - but you got kernel part right - what I don’t have any knowledge about is if any other distribution may have gone the extra mile.

Some months ago I tried a bunch of desktop environments for my 2-in-1, and Gnome was by far the best out-of-the-box. Try gnome manjaro from a live USB, it should work. Solus was also working flawlessly from the live USB for me.

Also, I found that Wayland is a must if you want touchscreen to work properly. I couldn’t make X11 work, no matter how hard I tried.