Help with dual boot, Windows 10 inaccessible boot device windows

Dear collective, I have installed Manjaro XCFE on new Dell 5000 laptop with Windows 10. I followed instructions as given in this tutorial.
Unfortunately the windows drive has bitlocker encryption. I can log into Manjaro and it is working well. However I can not boot into windows. On trying to boot into windows, I get error message that “device ran into a problem and needs to restart”. Stop code: “inaccessible boot device”.
This is my output for $sudo parted -l
Model: PM991 NVMe Samsung 512GB (nvme)
Disk /dev/nvme0n1: 512GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: gpt
Disk Flags:

Number Start End Size File system Name Flags
1 1049kB 158MB 157MB fat32 EFI system partition boot, esp
2 158MB 293MB 134MB Microsoft reserved partition msftres
3 293MB 231GB 231GB Basic data partition msftdata
7 231GB 231GB 537MB fat32 msftdata
8 231GB 244GB 12.6GB linux-swap(v1) swap
9 244GB 297GB 53.5GB ext4
10 297GB 493GB 196GB ext4
4 493GB 494GB 1038MB ntfs hidden, diag
5 494GB 511GB 16.7GB ntfs hidden, diag
6 511GB 512GB 1446MB ntfs hidden, diag

Any help is much appreciated!

At a guess you installed your boot code to windows /boot/efi thus overwriting it?

Hi @ash :wink:

I fear it can not be easily done with bitlocker. Only way would be using dislocker:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB#MS_Windows

Build it with:

pamac build dislocker

and run:

sudo os-prober &&  sudo update-grub

PS: Never done this. Only my theory.

This looks like an issue where Windows requires secure boot to be enabled - and because Manjaro don’t support secure boot you have disabled it - it is a part of the guide - I think I will amend the guide to discourage dual boot windows with bitlocker enabled.

Thanks Linux-aarhus. Should I do factory reset, and then disable bitlocker and then reinstall Manjaro?

Thanks @megavolt! I will try this before resetting the laptop to factory reset.
I tired it. It still did not work. Once windows bootloader starts, it takes me to option of restart or trouble shoot menu. It gives option to rest the pc or restore factory image.

Thanks @linux-aarhus, if I change to secure boot and change to raid from ahci, and then allow to boot windows, will it work?
Will it damage the system if I change from raid to ahci/ otherwise?
If I manage to disable bitlocker, do you think it will work again?
Many thanks for your time.

Thanks @robin0800. I tired to update grub menu and it can see separate windows boot code.

there is 2 partitions fat32

Thanks @stephane, @megavolt, @linux-aarhus, @robin0800. I managed to load into windows with usb. Changed the encryption to off as suggested here. Then followed this to change from Raid to AHCI. Reboot and et voila!
Hope the joy lasts though! Have tried a couple of times to change from Manjaro to Windows and it works.

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.