Help with autologin minimal install

Hello,

I am just starting out with Manjaro, and I downloaded the minimal installation for raspberry pi 4.

Everything is working ok for now, however I would like to have the user I created autologin on boot.

I searched around, but everything I found is related to one of the desktop environments, and I have the minimal version which is just console and none of those tools.

How can I go about achieving the auto login?

As 2 extra “bonus” items, something else I want and need to do is:

• How can I prevent the user from being asked the password every time I issue a sudo command?
  • Is there a way to change the small graphic (manjaro logo) that appears at boot and shutdown?

Thanks!!

Hello @walterg74 and welcome :wink:

Here you go: getty - ArchWiki

I would not recommend that, but you can add this to the sudoers file. Preferred place would a custom file at /etc/sudoers.d/.

your_username ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL

One command:

echo "$USER ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL" | sudo tee -a /etc/sudoers.d/nopasswd

No idea what you mean :man_shrugging:

Thanks!

I managed to get the login investigating meanwhile, and also the passwordless sudo, although it did not work adding to the sudoers file, rather adding to a new file in sudoers.d like you mention, but with a different syntax of !authenticate.

I know normally this is a security risk , but this is towards building an emulation image to boot up a retro computer, so not really concerned about it.

Regarding the logo, it’s what appears as soon as it starts booting. Did you not see it ever? It’s like this:

It only appears for a very short while. Not sure if it resembles a theme but if that even applies to this minimal desktop-less build?

Now I am researching a new thing and it’s to run a script on bootup, after the autologin. I tired as seen elsewhere to create an /etc/rc.local file but that did not work/

Edit: did not let me upload image. It’s like this:

https: // i. ytimg. com/vi/GQL06AwHG44/maxresdefault.jpg

but just the logo on a black background.

I moved the topic to the ARM section, since it is not a regular desktop computer :wink:

Well, I never used the ARM Image, but it looks like a boot splash. Normally that would be invoked the kernel parameter on grub…

Plymouth - ArchWiki
Fbsplash - ArchWiki

Or maybe a service… can’t help you here.

If it is only a terminal, then use the ~/.bashrc file (if you run bash: echo $SHELL) to autostart scripts on login.

We use Plymouth for that, and you can change the theme used by regular plymouth commands.

plymouth-set-default-theme -R $themename

Thanks for that, I will look into it. So would the graphic just be part of the theme, and could I change just that?

So I found the theme, and I replaced the logo.png file for a different one.

I see it display as shutdown, but it seems at startup it uses a different file. Any chance the very first image I see is not even a plymouth theme yet?