Help to setup 2nd HDD as Storage

I recently installed Manjaro KDE on a new SSD. I put the old HDD in a caddy in place of the optical drive (removed the optical drive) to use as storage. I formatted the drive but now I am unable to do anything on this drive. I can’t create new folders not paste any files.

What am I doing wrong? On my Win 10 rig I have a SSD for the OS and applications and a 2TB HDD for storage. I want to replicate the same setup. I assumed it would be simple but isn’t. How do I go about doing that?

Thanks.

I think you have to change the ownership of the drive, something like:

sudo chown username:username /path/to/mount

Also it would be handy to automount the device in your /etc/fstab

This howto covers mounting and permissions:

Got it. Done. Works now.

Thanks.

You can use systemd to mount your device like the 2nd post suggests. I prefer the fstab method because it’s much simpler.

i’m reading that how to geek and yes i find it easier then the other posted link,got to Mounting the file systems section and got this.the Hdd is not formated.

sudo mount /dev/sda /mnt/scsi
mount: /mnt/scsi: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda, missing codepage or help
er program, or other error.

You are trying to mount a whole device where most likely you want to mount a partition instead.

i’m trying to mount the sda Hdd

sda 8:0 0 3.6T 0 disk
sdb 8:16 0 931.5G 0 disk
├─sdb1 8:17 0 350M 0 part
├─sdb2 8:18 0 930.6G 0 part /run/media/
└─sdb3 8:19 0 533M 0 part
sdc 8:32 0 465.8G 0 disk
├─sdc1 8:33 0 100M 0 part /mnt/ssd
├─sdc2 8:34 0 16M 0 part
├─sdc3 8:35 0 465.2G 0 part /run/media/
└─sdc4 8:36 0 507M 0 part
sdd 8:48 0 1.8T 0 disk
└─sdd1 8:49 0 1.8T 0 part

There seem to be no partitions on /dev/sda. Are you sure there is a filesystem (to mount) on it?
Check with

$ lsblk -f

If that is an empty hdd

1. create a partition table with at least 1 partition
  2. create a filesystem on that partition
  3. only now you can mount it

hey sorry for the long time since i replied joys of real life,yeah i forgot to format it :yum: .tried to update manjaro the old version to many conflicts so gave up and installed the latest version.

followed https://www.howtogeek.com/444814/how-to-write-an-fstab-file-on-linux/

though i did have one issue with sudo gedit /etc/fstab which I had to web search and found out it only works on Gnome based Linux,as I’m using KDE based Linux you have to use kate /etc/fstab

other then that all working great :+1: and thanks for the help