Help needed to redirect console to external hdmi

First let me describe my question. I’m using a laptop (intel internal, nvidia gpu) and as many laptops it’s the “hardwired” system. I’m using optimus and the non-free nvidia-driver and the gpu is fixed to nvidia-mode. I’m using my external monitor as primary and the laptop-display is switched off. So far so good, everything runs fine under GUI. As soon as i switch via ALT-Fx to a console, the console is opened but the display switch from external to the internal laptop-display. Is it possible to redirect the output to the external mode that i can use the external hdmi-display as primary even in console-mode. FYI the bios doesn’t offer any options in that way. I’m not sure if it’s possible but i would appreciate any help if it is.
Thanks in advance

So let me describe, what the problem here is:

1. It seems you run the nvidia and intel card in prime-reverse mode. Nvidia is running mainly with GLX and passthrough the screen to the intel card; therefore to the laptop screen.
  2. When you switch to the console, then it switches from normal video mode to basic video mode.

I assume that the console work in KMS mode. Nvidia have also KMS, but it needs to be enabled explicitly and is rather experimental. I guess the console (TTY) is operating with the Intel driver in KMS mode.

What you can try is enabling KMS for nvidia:

File: /etc/default/grub

nvidia-drm.modeset=1

File: /etc/mkinitcpio.conf

MODULES=(nvidia nvidia_modeset nvidia_uvm nvidia_drm)

and run:

sudo mkinitcpio -P && sudo update-grub
1 Like

@megavolt
thanks for the tip, i’ll try that and will reply but actually i’m a little bit busy. nevertheless thanks and i appreciate.

Closed because the OP didn’t react over 1 year now and didn’t mark any post as solution.