Help downgrading an aur package

Hello.
Where can I get help with downgrading an aur package? I use Nordvpn and since the last update it no longer connects. I contacted their support and they reported that “The issue seems to be caused by the different implementation of this app as it was created by the Arch Linux community and not us. In order to resolve this issue, we would recommend you to contact the Arch Linux community that created this app (…)”

I would like to try returning to the previous package.

keep in mind that you might need the downgradefromala option. in this case use

sudo DOWNGRADE_FROM_ALA=1 downgrade YOURAPPLICATION
1 Like

I am pretty sure the above is only for repo packages. The aur packages are build from a pkgbuild “recipe”. So you either need the old version of the recipe and the old source files, or if it was a re-build the old version might be in your cache, if you have not clean it. I am unfortunately not sure if many older versions are kept by default or just the last one and where the buildcache was.

we would recommend you to contact the Arch Linux community that created this

AUR (en) - nordvpn

speedytux commented on 2024-04-02 06:10 (UTC)

Please don’t upgrade to the 3.17.3. There is a bug that prevent the connection. Just checked with the support center.

AUR (en) - nordvpn-bin

Mxzcabel commented on 2023-03-23 20:37 (UTC) (edited on 2024-03-31 01:07 (UTC) by Mxzcabel)

If you want to see the change between newer versions just check the Github page.

Please DO NOT flag this package as out-of-date until there’s the official release on Github’s page.

Maybe the announcement is delayed, but wait for some other possible forward release, which is patching the previous one, before the actual publishing.

Note from 3.17.3v:

Caution! This version needs heed while using it and should be avoided. I strongly advice downgrading to 3.17.2 and wait for a new version or patching. Some big problems are:

• There’s DNS leak present. Your original ISP servers can be exposed, as reported already on #343 issue.
  • Unable to connect on nordvpn servers. Your journal might show the follow output: networker setting dns: setting dns with resolvectl: setting dns with resolvectl: Failed to set DNS configuration: Could not activate remote peer: activation request failed: unknown unit.: exit status 1

After restarting resolve with systemctl restart systemd-resolved.service you may get it working again, enough for connecting normally, as reported, but not exclusively an ARM platform issue, on #342.

I’ve never found a “proper” way to do this. The only thing I’ve been able to do was to get a list of all the files in the package, then restore them from my last backup before I upgraded it.

And…another reason not to use AUR ‘helpers’ rears its fugly head.

@Olli: that’s how I downgrade AUR packages(not from ALA, of course, but from my local repository).

@Teo: if you use a custom repository, you can keep as many previous versions as you like.

You can do this with the normal repos too, the question was for the aur, if that cache keep more than one version (does it respect the pamac.conf too in case of pamac as helper for example).

For NordVPN and possibly others as well you need to use systemd-resolved as the dns resolver.

Manjaro defaults to openresolv

From the message is appears that resolvectl - which is depending on a running and functional systemd-resolved- is causing the issue.

This has been covered in the guide [root tip] [How To] NordVPN on Manjaro

The Arch Wiki contains the information as well NordVPN - ArchWiki

ATTENTION

NordVPN does not leak DNS on Manjaro if setup correctly using systemd-resolved

dnsleaktest.com using NordVPN

Standard test result

Extended test result

1 Like