Headset Microphone is not working (Dell XPS 13 9380)

Hi all,

when I plug in a 3.5mm wired headset the headset microphone is not working. The headset is a MPOW H19IPO that could be connected with bluetooth, but iIalways use it plugged.

In Pavucontrol i can see the Headset Microphone, but no sound can be recorded through it.

My laptop is a Dell XPS 13 9380 (2019) and, for what i can understand, Realtek ALC3271 is the “codec” used:

❯ cat /proc/asound/card0/codec* | grep Codec
Codec: Realtek ALC3271
Codec: Intel Kabylake HDMI

Can anybody help? :slight_smile:

Thank you!

The manufacturer’s website has this image showing the 3.5mm jack cable has only a 3-pole TRS jack for headphones; no 4-pole TRRS jack cable for microphone connection

Does the microphone work when the headset is not on Bluetooth? | Amazon.com
the microphone of this headset can only work under Bluetooth mode.
MpowGlobal Seller · August 13, 2020

Ok, thank you @nikgnomic. So i should find a 4-pole TRRS jack cable to test it with the headset.
By the way, even in Bluetooth mode mic is recognized but does not work…but that’s another story.

Will try the “wired” road and i’ll keep this thread updated

I do not think a TRRS jack cable will work to add a microphone connection

I checked some of the other headphone models and the models under $60 appear to only support microphone over Bluetooth
Some of the answers on amazon.com say that models over $70 do support wired microphone, but the promotional videos are only show a TRS jack

@nikgnomic yes, indeed, i managed to find a 4-pole TRRS cable but has not helped. Seems like that i’ve to spend more to be able to go wired.