Having problems with configuring wine and installing MS Office 2016

I installed wine, wine-tricks and wine-gecko on my laptop. When i try to open winecfg for the default wine storage or any other custom storage, winecfg doesn’t open. Instead the terminal stays stuck at:

MESA-INTEL: warning: Performance support disabled, consider sysctl dev.i915.perf_stream_paranoid=0
MESA-INTEL: warning: Performance support disabled, consider sysctl dev.i915.perf_stream_paranoid=0
wine: Unhandled page fault on execute access to 00007FB37B0A0B80 at address 00007FB37B0A0B80 (thread 00d8), starting debugger...
wine: Unhandled page fault on execute access to 00007F9ABE7D1B80 at address 00007F9ABE7D1B80 (thread 00a4), starting debugger...
00e0:fixme:unwind:virtual_unwind calling personality routine in system library not supported yet
wine: Unhandled page fault on execute access to 00007F3C43B2A600 at address 00007F3C43B2A600 (thread 00e0), starting debugger...

Later, I tried to install MS Office 2016 using Use Bottles. I could open configure the virtual drive their, but the installation would get stuck midway and show " Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2016 encountered an error during setup". All the possible windows solutions show fixes using task scheduler, but bottles doesnt have it.

And did you try to do what is suggesting there, or at least search for it?
You can try

sudo sysctl dev.i915.perf_stream_paranoid=0

before running wine and see if that helps … and if it does, see how you make it permanent.

2 Likes

Using Crossover is probably the best way to run office 2016 - without having to do extensive configuration by hand

Maybe a problem with a hybrid gpu? I had recently such a problem…

I used it but still winecfg doesnt open.

This is the out put of sudo sysctl --system :

* Applying /usr/lib/sysctl.d/10-manjaro.conf ...
fs.inotify.max_user_instances = 1024
fs.inotify.max_user_watches = 524288
* Applying /usr/lib/sysctl.d/50-coredump.conf ...
kernel.core_pattern = |/usr/lib/systemd/systemd-coredump %P %u %g %s %t %c %h
kernel.core_pipe_limit = 16
fs.suid_dumpable = 2
* Applying /usr/lib/sysctl.d/50-default.conf ...
kernel.sysrq = 16
kernel.core_uses_pid = 1
net.ipv4.conf.default.rp_filter = 2
sysctl: setting key "net.ipv4.conf.all.rp_filter": Invalid argument
net.ipv4.conf.default.accept_source_route = 0
sysctl: setting key "net.ipv4.conf.all.accept_source_route": Invalid argument
net.ipv4.conf.default.promote_secondaries = 1
sysctl: setting key "net.ipv4.conf.all.promote_secondaries": Invalid argument
net.ipv4.ping_group_range = 0 2147483647
net.core.default_qdisc = fq_codel
fs.protected_hardlinks = 1
fs.protected_symlinks = 1
fs.protected_regular = 1
fs.protected_fifos = 1
* Applying /usr/lib/sysctl.d/50-pid-max.conf ...
kernel.pid_max = 4194304
* Applying /usr/lib/sysctl.d/60-libvirtd.conf ...
fs.aio-max-nr = 1048576
* Applying /usr/lib/sysctl.d/60-qemu-postcopy-migration.conf ...
vm.unprivileged_userfaultfd = 1
* Applying /etc/sysctl.d/99-i915psp.conf ...
dev.i915.perf_stream_paranoid = 0

i swithced to nvidia gpu from intel gpu. Now winecfg works and opens but software installation failed. It also created entrys for the nonexisting application.

I’m sure I’d go with Virtualbox and give it a separate monitor/desktop to play on.

1 Like