Have you ever installed ARES-Commander in Manjaro?

Good Day everybody,
I’m a Mechanical Engineer so I have my dose of using CAD software in multiple platforms, mostly MS. Several years ago I turned my attention to CAD under linux and I found a good option named ARES-Commander, which I used under Fedora and Ubuntu. Now, for safety and performance reasons I’m migrating everything into Manjaro Linux (better linux experience ever IMHO). The thing is, ARES Commander provides along with RPM and DEB package an TBZ2 package for “other” distros. I understand the better option in Manjaro is using main packages and the second best (but not everyone’s cup of tea) is using AUR packages, which unfortunately is not the case with a CAD software ready to production like ARES. Thank you in advance for your advice.

Hello,

A 1.7 GiB of commercial software might have a license packaging attached to it, that is why nobody did it. You can download the *.tbz2 they provide and extract it in a place that is convenient for you. Once is done, you go inside the extracted folder and open up terminal in it, from that very extracted folder, and simply run:

sudo cp -r opt/graebert-gmbh /opt/graebert-gmbh

then you go to the install folder
cd install

and run
sudo ./doinst.sh

This will take a while. Once is done you find the software in application menu. Do your thing.

Want to remove the software, run from the same install folder in the extracted folder:

sudo ./predelete.sh

and then
sudo rm -r /opt/graebert-gmbh

Do not ask me why this convoluted way … Happy CAD-ing.

1 Like

Many thanks, deeply…
It deserves an explanation why I need using a proprietary SW in linux:
Well, every animal is deeply attached to its feeding habits, I suppose… I mean, being subject to a market dominated by proprietary extensions (.dwg in this case for 2D drawings) this fact determines the necessity of using software able to produce deliverables in those extensions… Although the tide is changing in the filed of 2D engineering deliverables, very slowly IMHO, there are a lot of room with simulations and 3D design (FreeCAD, BIM blender, Open FOAM). Unfortunately, the contractual deliverables are mostly 2D, and the simulations and 3D models are support for documents and drawings which are the fundamentals in engineering. (dominated by .doc and .dwg extensions, respectively)