Hardware compatibility resources for Linux

Hi folks,

I recently lucked out on a hardware purchase. The earbugs I bought don’t really work with Linux/Manjaro. While I’m out on the market for new ones, the question I have here is somewhat different: where do you recommend checking before buying hardware? (in this case searching for device_name+linux didn’t return anything) For example I usually look at winehq or protondb before buying a game to get a sense of how compatible it is with Linux. Any similar resources you can recommend for hardware?

I changed your topic title to make it a little more clear about what you’re looking for.

Keep the forum rules in mind:

Product Recommendation Requests

Threads seeking advice about computer product recommendations are discouraged.

• Such topics, like the technology they discuss, quickly become obsolete and are unlikely to provide any lasting benefit to the wider community.
  • You are expected to be able to do your own research and draw your own conclusions about which product best suits your individual requirements.
1 Like

Hardware tend to be compatible with Linux when they follow public standards rather than trying to make their own.
Personally, if i need a special application in order to use the full potential of a new hardware, that’s usually a no-no… unless said application (or good enough equivalent) is available for Linux. It’s thanks to such availability that i can still enjoy a Roccat Kone XTD gaming mouse for instance.

You can check hardware compatibility here:

3 Likes