GTK3 Themes: CSS Selector for Separator?

Hi all!
I’m using Manjaro KDE with Breath as GTK theme.
I’m quite happy with the results except for the Separator Buttons in Toolbars.
I find them to narrow and/or without an background image way to less separating :wink:

If have already tried to modify every entry with Separator and Button or Toolbar in its name in /usr/share/themes/Breath/gtk-3.0/gtk.css but to no (useful) avail.

Does anybody know which is the correct CSS selector for the toolbar separator button?

Thanks in advance,
Norbert

1 Like

:+1: Welcome to Manjaro! :+1:

@bogdancovaciu Didn’t you originally design Breath2?

If yes, can you help @norbertjh :question:
If no, just leave a :heart: and :checkered_flag:and I’ll go hunt around…

:thinking:

Hey,

While parts of the Breath2 are tweaked by me, there is no Breath2 GTK theme, and the Breath GTK theme is the work of someone else.
Is unclear from OP post if the separators are for the Plasma theme or GTK applications.
Either way, none can be done without intense editing of the themes. The GTK has png assets. Those will need editing too, based on a new layout.

Breeze GTK will follow the color-scheme from plasma, except the GTK2 applications, and has a better layout and spacing distribution.

At this moment i can’t help more than that.

1 Like

Hi all!
I want to modify the toolbar separators of GTK applications.
I just need to know the right CSS selector.
Switching to Breeze won’t help because it has the same very subtle separators.
Thanks,
Norbert

And what we’re trying to tell you is:

We don’t know the right CSS selector neither!

:sob:

2 Likes

1 CSS 13:13 And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is hope.
:wink:

Create the file ~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css and add the following CSS rule:

toolbar separator {
    background-color: #ff0000;
    /* to make the separator thicker you can add a right border */
    border-right: 2px solid #ff0000;
}

The above was tested on my Xfce system, I’m not sure if it will work in KDE. If it doesn’t work, copy the CSS rule at the bottom of the file you mentioned /usr/share/themes/Breath/gtk-3.0/gtk.css.

A logout/login will be needed to see the result in the Gtk theme.

2 Likes

Thanks!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.