Grub rescue error manjaro 20.0.3

yesterday i installed manjaro on my HDD by using the Yumi program since i don’t count with a CD reader or a pendrive to install it in other way, when i booted manjaro and i opened the installer it was all fine and dandy until the installation stopped at 83%, an hour passes and it stood there, i rebooted my pc since i thought there was maybe something going on, and when it starts, it throws me into grub rescue mode

error: file '/boot/grub/i386-pc/normal.mod' not found
i tried the most common solution which is finding the partition where manjaro is installed and then try

`
set boot=(hd0,msdos1)/boot/grub

set prefix=(hd0,msdos1)

set root=hd0,msdos1

inscape normal
`
but everytime i type the last one, it goes back to the same first error, i don’t know what to do to go back since i don’t have many methods

Hi, it seems the installation was not finished. Would be interessting at which point it stopped and which DE you used.

Could you install again, but open a terminal and start calamares with

calamares_polkit --debug 2&> debug.log

That creates a debug.log in the home folder. Please post it then on https://pastebin.com/ and copy the link here. Or at least copy&paste the last lines where it stopped.

Thank you :wink:

1 Like

hello, i’ll try to install it again and follow the steps, when i finish i’ll update about the progress, idk what im going to do about the installation tho, maybe try out another distro or modify some things in the hardware

If you use linux i would rather recommand using:

sudo dd bs=4M if=/path/to/manjaro.iso of=/dev/sd[drive letter] status=progress oflag=sync

to copy manjaro to the usb drive.

But ventoy is great program. It supports windows and linux. Practically you just have install it to the drive and everything after that is just copy and paste the iso file to the usb drive. Windows ISOs are also supported.

Great :+1: It is also possible to troubleshoot the problem with grub, but it should be easier to have hint in the log to see whats going on there. Did you create the partition manually or did the installer it for you?

1 Like

Manjaro no longer supports 32-bit.
Is this a 32 bit machine/installation ?

1 Like

yes, i did create a partition manually just for the distro to be installed, with about more than enough space for almost any distro to work

i’ll totally take this into consideration, since i only have linux installed in my pc i will have to take the HDD out and install a distro on it from another pc, it’s been getting quite difficult for quite obvious reasons

:0 i didn’t know that, even tho i have a 32 bit machine manjaro seemed to work just fine, seems like i’ll need to install another one