Grub not detecting after extending root using KDE partition manager

I was dualbooting(isolated dualboot I think [windows bootloader->grub]) windows 10 and Manjaro kde.

Manjaro was installed on a 48GB partition and I needed more space. So, I live booted a minimal Manjaro install and used kde partition manager to delete an ext4 partition (~25GB) and extend my root to it. I also left ~512MB unallocated…

I would have used Gparted, but it wasn’t available in Add/Remove software for some reason, so I used KDE’s tool.

But after that, a new unallocated partition showed up (1.93TiB), I’m using a 500GiB HDD…

The problem is, when I rebooted to grub, I got a black screen saying grub boot file not found.

Any idea what I should do to get Manjaro back?(I can boot to win 10, but I need Manjaro and currently don’t have admin access to windows)

I installed Manjaro on sda7 and had a 2gb swap somewhere in there…

EDIT:
installed gparted on live USB, it throws 3 errors when starting:

1. Libparted Error: Can’t have overlapping partitions
  2. Libparted Error: Can’t have a logical partition table outside of extended partition on /dev/sda
  3. Libparted Error: Can’t have partition outside disk

I think what I actually extended was my home partition…, I am lost I followed some tutorial installed manjaro 2 years ago, and I don’t remember what was what…

Save your valuable data and do a fresh install.

Any idea why it shows I have 1.9TiB space?

Because the partition table is defective :man_shrugging:

• You have an extended partition (which is only possible with MBR)
  • With MBR you only have 4 partitions possible (but you seem to have 5)

Whatever program created this partition table initially lead the way to disaster

This is not the fault of your last changes. Maybe some vendor did invent its own partition table. No program can handle this.

So,

• Boot via UEFI from live USB
  • Backup your valuables
  • Create a new partition table (preferable GPT !)
  • Do a clean install
  • restore your data

Just to add.
Despite so many people seeming to consider it a casual operation…
Any time you move/resize/augment a partition with data on it, you run the risk of some sort of corruption.

2 Likes

Does that mean I will have to reinstall windows and restore it from backup?

Do a fsck on sda?
There is also testdisk, where you can fix and recover old or previous partitions.
I also can find fixparts.
Gparted
https://gparted.org/h2-fix-msdos-pt.php#overlapping-partitions

these are what i got…

and yes, gparted is showing overlapping partitions…

Should I try to remove my extended partition as [SOLVED] Partition ends after end-of-disk / Newbie Corner / Arch Linux Forums suggests?

It seems, that your sda4 is the faulty partition. Counting the size from all other partition equals about your hdd size.
Try it to delete it.
But i may would do a

sudo sfdisk -d /dev/sda > sda-backup.txt

just in case, something goes wrong. You can copy it back, in case something goes wrong.

sda4 is an extended partition and holds sda5 and sda6, Are there any datas in this Partition, what i see from your first screen?
If so, you may back up them, if you can

1 Like

Deleting the extended partition resolved the partition overlap. I ended up having to reinstall manjaro tho.

Good to see, that it did work without any greater problems.
I think i had similar issues with resize partitions.
Since them, i have my home at a seperate partition or a different hdd.
I try to keep some space between the partitions.
I never make a importend partition smaller or try to move it, when it contains datas, to an other location.
And yes, KDE’s partman is not the savest tool what you can use.

For the installation, you can make a backup from your installation also,
and use the backup file later, to install the same packages again with the 2 lines

pacman -Qqe | grep -v "$(pacman -Qmq)" > pkglist

Restore

pacman -S $(cat pkglist)
1 Like

I made a little tool to make it easy to duplicate your plasma setup.
(it also has pkglist functions to achieve that specific part like above)

Of course it wont help the user now that everything is reformatted … but just to reference in case someone can make use of it.

And if you want to go even more hardcore … we recently got a new tool to spin up ‘egg’ ISOs of your system to really really have duplicated deployment:

Same thing here … just in case someone could use it … but here I have not tested it at all.

1 Like

On a different note, I was not(and still am fully not) sure what gets stored in the root partition. I made it 15GiB and it’s already more than half full. I read Pacman installs programs there, so I need more space. I’m thinking of just doing the install again since it doesn’t take much time…

What size root and swap(i have 4GB ram installed) partition should I use if i have about 165GiB for dualbooting?

Thanks for helping me out🙂

Thanks🙂

The root partition holds anything related to the system plus programs.
The /home folder is forked from there, it contains your (Users) personal files,
downloads, documents, desktop settings, configuration files and can be everywhere at a valid adress.
You can see that at the tree also from /home/username.
I made my root partition 30 GB, but i am still short on space sometimes.
I have another one which is (40-)60GB, what seems is enough.
It depends, how much programs you use and want to install.
I am playing around sometimes with wine-versions, where each versions takes 500mb-1GB, and use other programs like google earth, lmms, and that eats up my space after a while.
If you want do more a slim installation, i would say, 25-30Gb should be enough.

For the swap, some say, its better not to use it, because linux is then forced, to use the faster ram,
and it tends to use first the Swap. But if you run out of ram, the system will close programs, to free ram.
I made me with my 16GB RAM a 10GB Swap, what i did resized to 8GB,
(which works at gparted without problems) and i am good with it. it feels like, the system has never any problems at all.
But here is a list from the suggested swap file size, where everybody can decide by his own.
https://itsfoss.com/swap-size/

Thanks
I reinstalled with 32 gb root.

Bow when I boot into Linux, i get a message

then boots into plasma just fine, so I don’t mind it, but what does this mean?

Did something go wrong with the partitioning? I also get something similar when I shutdown.

Edit:
I think I figured it out. https://askubuntu.com/questions/987024/boot-message-about-disk-clean-can-it-indicate-bad-disk

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.