Grub no shows windows

I install manjaro in my second SSD, but grub don’t show windows
I try sudo update grub
and things like that, but nothing

I have ASUS UEFI bios, I think that’s make a difference?

its my first linux try

Welcome back!

There’s another option in /etc/default/grub you missed (based on your other thread).

GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=false

This will enable the OS prober to find and make an entry for Windows’ EFI bootloader.

Either uncomment that line or write it out as a new option on its own line.

I have this but nothing

Pleas open a terminal window and enter

test -d /sys/firmware/efi && echo efi || echo bios
sudo parted -l

and post output here.

This will help us to determine if both OS are installed in the same mode, i.e. both in UEFI mode or both in BIOS mode. The grub boot menu only allows to boot Windows if it’s installed in the same mode.

Also make sure Fast boot is disabled in Windoze completely, otherwise it could only hibernate when “shutting down” and this could form issues in accessing the Windoze system disk from another operating system.

bios
Model: ATA KINGSTON SA400S3 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 240GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: gpt
Disk Flags: 

Number  Start   End    Size    File system  Name                          Flags
 1      1049kB  106MB  105MB   fat32        EFI system partition          boot, esp
 2      106MB   123MB  16,8MB               Microsoft reserved partition  msftres
 3      123MB   240GB  239GB   ntfs         Basic data partition          msftdata
 4      240GB   240GB  543MB   ntfs                                       hidden, diag

Model: ATA CT240BX500SSD1 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sdb: 240GB
Disk Flags: 

Number  Start   End     Size    File system     Name  Flags
 1      1049kB  9437kB  8389kB  ext4
 2      9437kB  16,8GB  16,8GB  linux-swap(v1)        swap, legacy_boot
 3      16,8GB  240GB   223GB   ext4                  legacy_boot

Model: ATA ST1000DM003-1CH1 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sdc: 1000GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/4096B
Disk Flags: 

Number  Start  End     Size    File system  Name                  Flags
 1      595MB  1000GB  1000GB  ntfs         Basic data partition  msftdata

Model: Kingston DataTraveler 3.0 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sdd: 15,5GB
Disk Flags: 

Number  Start   End     Size    File system  Name     Flags
 1      1049kB  15,5GB  15,5GB               Ventoy   msftdata
 2      15,5GB  15,5GB  33,6MB  fat16        VTOYEFI  hidden, msftdata

Here we are, this indicates you have installed Manjaro in BIOS mode. Re-install it in UEFI mode. This is best done when you boot the installation USB stick via the “UEFI” marked entry form your firmware. The Manjaro ISO’s are of hybrid design, they allow both, installation in BIOS and in UEFI mode. You have to take care to choose the right version. :wink: Make sure the disk foreseen for the Manjaro OS keeps being formatted in GPT and not msdos with MBR.

More details are given in this tutorial:

2 Likes

oh thx i will try reinstalling

1 Like

Slightly off topic, but I must admit that the people who designed these standards and technologies are terrible at naming things.

Even the term “BIOS” is ambigious, as someone can use it to refer to their motherboard’s firmware (even modern ones with UEFI) or to refer to legacy boot.

When it comes to installations and partitioning, it’s one of the reasons I describe it as the Linux “system” partition, rather than “root” or “/”, since “root” is ambigious and can refer to the user, the folder, top-level, and “/” can be confused with an “and/or” symbol.
:man_shrugging:

1 Like

My solution was set bios as only UEFI so I run a usb in UEFI mode with manjaro using ventoy
Then reinstall manjaro, now shows manjaro and windows so was easy.

now just need install Discord and Rave and I will happy with this OS

:blush:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.