Grub menu option not working/available

windows boot partition is probably broken… just to be sure go to /etc/default/grub:
kate /etc/default/grub
and change this line to look like this:
GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=menu
then save the file and run this:
sudo update-grub
reboot and check

1 Like

Menu is visible but window is not there, how to get windows back… :smiling_face_with_tear: helmmmp

you need windows usb or dvd, and repair windows boot partition from there… search for guides on internet on how to repair windows boot partition, theres plenty of them, and its not difficult

ohk… Basically just boot and repair the window installation right?

no just repairing the windows boot, there is a option for this, when you boot windows usb… just search for some guide on internet

2 Likes

OK thanks…

when you repair the boot partition, you have to run this command again:
sudo update-grub
so that you have windows detected in the grub menu

1 Like

Hello, Its fixed but the problem is that, Now window load by default i looked into bios settings to Change the boot order but boot order has OS Boot manager as in it but issue with it, is that Window and Manjaro both act as OS Boot manager so even though Manajaro Boot manager show Grub menu and show Windows in it but i dont know how to make manajaro boot manager act as default one…

so can you boot into manjaro? im not understanding what you mean

SO, if i power on my laptop it will directly go into windows…
To boot into manajro i have press F9 on startup of laptop and then have to choose boot device to boot from…

I though to fix it by going into BIOS setting and change the order to manjaro but it list three things

OS Boot manager 
USB devices 
Network attached devices 

when i press F9 and Boot devices shows up in a List, Manjaro and Window both are listed as OS boot manager so how do i fix that because from bios it can not be done…

so you can change the boot order in bios boot priority settings? and can you add a boot entry in bios? also is fastboot disabled in windows/bios?

Windows Boot manager has taken over from GRUB, as brahma said Check fast boot is off in your bios, and also when in Manjaro did you do from terminal:

sudo update-grub

Again what brahma said.

@brahma, No, knight is only getting windows boot manager in the bios, then has to press F9 after bios to get into Windows boot Manager (like pressing shift after bios to get GRUB) then select to boot Manjaro.

Just after fixing the window boot issue,

Didnt see any option realted to fast boot in the bios

@TheReaperUK @brahma

Here is the whole story… If i dont press F9 it will boot the windows

so in the second picture where there is windows listed first and manjaro second, change the order, so that manjaro is first, save the bios settings, and it should work

That can only be done from BIOS but as you can see in first image Bios only list OS Boot manager nothing else

in the first picture when you click on the OS Boot Manager what happens?

It shows both Manjaro and windows but for some reason i can not make changes to it for some reason… seems like need to look in to HP Bios option issue

try this:

1. Boot into Windows, search for “advanced startup” and open the Settings app, and click Restart
  2. Now, find your way to the UEFI firmware settings, this is different for different brands
  3. Once you’re in, find the boot options tab and see the boot order menu
  4. It will have something called the “OS Boot Manager” with a right arrow pointing to it
  5. Highlight this and press enter
  6. Press F5/F6 to put manjaro above Windows Boot Manager
  7. Press F10 to save the changes
  8. Save all your changes and exit the UEFI settings

and take a picture of the screen when you anter the ‘os boot manager’

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.