"grub_is_Shim_lock_enabled not found"

It saddens to hear that. Unfortunately, short of a reinstall (which I would have done long ago, so kudos to you for your patience,) I have NO idea where to go from here.

1 Like

This is correct and certainly not a messed system.

Some UEFI firmwares require a bootable file at a known location before they will show UEFI NVRAM boot entries. If this is the case, grub-install will claim efibootmgr has added an entry to boot GRUB, however the entry will not show up in the VisualBIOS boot order selector. The solution is to install GRUB at the default/fallback boot path:
GRUB - ArchWiki

1 Like

@linux-aarhus - thanks a lot - much appreciated! I will check out this section of the Arch Wiki a bit later & give it a go. Manjaro has been so stable on the whole over the last 10 years, that I haven’t learned that much! I will give it a try fixing this one. Thanks again, also for your involvement in the core team. More power to you all…

EDIT: I just tried the command listed in the Arch Wiki & received the following"

grub-install: error: failed to get canonical path of `esp’

Apparently I need to define esp in the grub-install line - I’m not sure how I get there…

Thanks, R