Grub error [Updated, now grub_calloc error]

So, I’m not in any serious trouble here, I can still boot fine, but I can’t access my grub at all. If I use my bios boot options to attempt to access it, doing so results in the ‘grub_calloc’ error.
If I leave it to its own devices through the boot procedure, it just boots straight into Manjaro with no options.

So, I’ve gone ran update-grub (I’m quite the grub noob, but I’m trying to do what I can without pestering people, learning along the way) and it spat out this here.

Generating grub configuration file ...
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-5.11-x86_64
Found initrd image: /boot/amd-ucode.img /boot/initramfs-5.11-x86_64.img
Found initrd fallback image: /boot/initramfs-5.11-x86_64-fallback.img
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-5.10-x86_64
Found initrd image: /boot/amd-ucode.img /boot/initramfs-5.10-x86_64.img
Found initrd fallback image: /boot/initramfs-5.10-x86_64-fallback.img
Adding boot menu entry for UEFI Firmware Settings ...
Found memtest86+ image: /boot/memtest86+/memtest.bin
/usr/bin/grub-probe: warning: unknown device type nvme0n1.
error: syntax error.
error: Incorrect command.
error: syntax error.
Syntax error at line 101
Syntax errors are detected in generated GRUB config file.
Ensure that there are no errors in /etc/default/grub
and /etc/grub.d/* files or please file a bug report with
/boot/grub/grub.cfg.new file attached.

I’ve done a bit of research and it seems to be based on something to do with the fact I’m on an NVME drive, and that I shouldn’t worry because it still boots, which I’m thankful for but I really like being able to change my Kernel.

Would you guys be able to advise from here on out? I’m a little lost but not sure what the next step is, this is a bit beyond my current knowledge

You can ignore it, but is an issue with GRUB updating memtest . Disabling the memtest line will get rid of the NVME warning.

Also, you might want to check for root partition in fstab - right after the UUID=... if you have it like this:
/ ext4 defaults,noatime 0 1
maybe you want continuous trim, so you will have to change to this:
/ ext4 defaults,noatime,discard 0 1
or like this
/ ext4 rw,relatime,data=ordered 0 1

Sorry, don’t want to hijack this post.

But if I’m allowed to know, what is the benefit, or drawbacks of having it vs. not having it?

This will make continuous trim. Sometimes it produces system freezes because of that …

While with

you then can manually trim ar use the trim.timer (run trim automatically every week) this is preferred IMHO and more sane.
More details here Solid state drive - ArchWiki

1 Like

Thank you. I’m reading up on it now, as well.

Okay, so I did a little bit more work. I removed Memtest but the issue still persisted. My tired brain didn’t see the line designation for the error at the time, so I dove into the cfg and saw that it pointed to a line regarding my 5.11 RC kernel.
Not a problem, I’ll remove that kernel, I’m not using it for now…
Reran grub-update, got the same issue. It seems to be responding to the line specifying a kernel, regardless of what’s in it. In this case now that my 5.11 kernel is gone, it’s 5.10… that’s getting snagged. Any thoughts?

linux /boot/vmlinuz-5.10-x86_64 root=UUID=7cd34d22-6d82-495d-8d6c-1d82c9fc1f9f rw quiet apparmor=1 security=apparmor resume=UUID=f91d41a6-df9d-4a80-bf25-cd748b94ae3b udev.log_priority=3 <other_params>... amdgpu.ppfeaturemask=0xffffffff

Problem resolved, somewhat… Removed the following from my grub files:
<other_params>... amdgpu.ppfeaturemask=0xffffffff
Grub updates nice and clean now…
But now I get the grub_calloc error.
If I understand correctly, I’m assuming this means I need to boot into a live environment, chroot in and mount my EFI partition to /boot/efi?
Could someone advise before I potentially mess this up more? :sweat_smile: