GRUB does not detect second operating system (Windows) after update, goes straight into manjaro

[2021-03-16T21:36:56+0200] [ALPM-SCRIPTLET] Warning: os-prober will not be executed to detect other bootable partitions.
[2021-03-16T21:36:56+0200] [ALPM-SCRIPTLET] Systems on them will not be added to the GRUB boot configuration.
[2021-03-16T21:36:56+0200] [ALPM-SCRIPTLET] Check GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER documentation entry.

This is what I saw after running an update, so I was kind of expecting this to happen on restart. It’s not a critical issue as I can just go into the UEFI and select windows boot manager to load first (I have 2 separate EFI partitions, no particular reason why) but I’d rather not be forced to go into the UEFI each and every time.

Something even more suspicious is that on boot-up I don’t even get access to the GRUB menu anymore - I can’t change kernels on boot for example, or select the “boot into UEFI” option as I don’t even get that option anymore on bootup, as the GRUB menu doesn’t load at all.

I suspect that I need to run some sort of OS prober, how do I do that?

See one of the existing threads:

(don’t forget to search the forum before asking questions btw :wink: . ‘windows grub’ and sort by ‘latest post’)

1 Like

How strange, I usually look on the “sidebar” where you see related posts while writing the title and haven’t seen that one. I usually take a look at those before posting. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction

1 Like

Well that was surprisingly easy, I’m kind of embarrassed I haven’t looked through the update announcements first before asking. I came back to say the issue is solved and to mark your comment as a solution. Thanks again.

1 Like

no worries. Protip:

you can click the bell icon in the right top of that page so you get notified every time there is a new forum post (and depending on how you have the forum notifications setup, you shoudl also receive an email about those notifications)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.