Greetings. I wasn’t very active on the old forum, so not sure if anyone remembers me. About a year ago, I made a topic about graphics problems with my old computer. Though these ones are not identical, they are similar, in that they involved the screen glitching out randomly, and the application it’s happening to becoming laggy, and often as not impossible to save data in before closing. A friend of mine suggested downgrading from 5.10 kernel to 5.9.16-1, and the results weren’t pretty:
That was what it looked like this morning, frozen, so I couldn’t take screencaps, had to grab it with my phone camera. I just bought this computer in January, and set it up near the end of that month. Currently configured:
System: Kernel: 5.10.15-1-MANJARO x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 10.2.1 Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.20.5 Distro: Manjaro Linux Machine: Type: Desktop Mobo: ASRock model: A520M-HDV serial: <filter> UEFI: American Megatrends v: P1.00 date: 07/21/2020 CPU: Info: 8-Core model: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X bits: 64 type: MT MCP arch: Zen 2 rev: 0 L2 cache: 4 MiB flags: avx avx2 lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm bogomips: 115028 Speed: 2191 MHz min/max: 2200/3600 MHz boost: enabled Core speeds (MHz): 1: 2191 2: 2194 3: 2194 4: 2187 5: 2196 6: 2196 7: 2194 8: 2196 9: 2192 10: 2195 11: 2202 12: 2196 13: 2194 14: 2197 15: 2195 16: 2195 Graphics: Device-1: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Ellesmere [Radeon RX 470/480/570/570X/580/580X/590] vendor: Tul driver: amdgpu v: kernel bus ID: 07:00.0 Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.10 driver: loaded: amdgpu,ati unloaded: modesetting resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz OpenGL: renderer: Radeon RX 570 Series (POLARIS10 DRM 3.40.0 5.10.15-1-MANJARO LLVM 11.0.1) v: 4.6 Mesa 20.3.4 direct render: Yes Audio: Device-1: AMD Ellesmere HDMI Audio [Radeon RX 470/480 / 570/580/590] vendor: Tul driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 07:00.1 Device-2: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Starship/Matisse HD Audio vendor: ASRock driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 09:00.4 Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.10.15-1-MANJARO Network: Device-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet vendor: ASRock driver: r8169 v: kernel port: f000 bus ID: 06:00.0 IF: enp6s0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter> Drives: Local Storage: total: 1.37 TiB used: 960.16 GiB (68.2%) ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: TeamGroup model: T253X2512G size: 476.94 GiB ID-2: /dev/sdb type: USB vendor: Western Digital model: WD10EADS-11M2B3 size: 930.86 GiB Partition: ID-1: / size: 468.16 GiB used: 43.91 GiB (9.4%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda2 ID-2: /boot/efi size: 299.4 MiB used: 312 KiB (0.1%) fs: vfat dev: /dev/sda1 Swap: ID-1: swap-1 type: file size: 512 MiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%) file: /swapfile Monitor: Samsung SF350
Much like the screen-blanking on my old computer, the timeframe could be anywhere from a day or so up uptime, to nearly several days, totally random. Only thing I’ve found resembling a trigger is trying to play music; Audacious breaks the interface within half an hour, VLC within an hour or so, and sometimes you can get 2 or 3 hrs out of smplayer, and I haven’t risked trying any other players, so I’m just back to silence like the past year on my old computer. Any insight would be helpful, as I thought I left this mess behind with my old computer.