Graphics Driver Bricking OS (New to Linux)

Hello everyone,

I am really hoping someone might be able to help me with a problem I’m facing. I have finally made the move away from Windows 10 over to KDE Plasma - Manjaro Linux though I’ve hit a brick wall. When I first got it to boot up (problematic BIOS settings) I was ecstatic to be on new OS that wasn’t windows.

Unfortunately I am having severe problems trying to get my graphics driver to work. (Specs listed below) I have tried to install the driver via the System Settings, via the terminal (various methods found online) and even spent several hours manually installing the driver with PRIME.

Each time I complete the installation and reboot, the system is bricked. I have no access to TTY and have to re-install the OS via usb with a burned image from the official website. I am at an utter and complete loss as to what to do next. I refuse to go back to Windows and don’t want to use Ubuntu (based on research).

Any and all help is EXTREMELY appreciated.

Manual Install YouTube Video Name: How to install nvidia driver in Manjaro Linux - How to easily solve the problem

Unfortunately I couldn’t put a link in.

PC Specifications:
Motherboard: ASUS X299 Prime Deluxe (first edition)
CPU: Intel Core i9-7940x
GPU: ASUS GTX 1080 STRIX 8GB
Storage: 1TB WD Blue SSD
32GB ADATA RAM

Hello @Daarkblood :wink:

So as i understand, you are able to install it and then boot it locally. Then you installed the nvidia drivers and got a black screen after rebooting, correct?

Did you check the logs?

Xorg for example:

cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log

There you should see a hint why it does not work.
(i hope you did not install video-vesa, which would cause a blackscreen without proper configuration)

However, you can boot the a live session, open a terminal and run:

manjaro-chroot -a

after choosing the installation by number, you are acting in the terminal like you are on the local installation. There you can check all things. But first it would be good to have the Xorg.0.log at least, to have an idea if it is the graphical target that sucks.

“Bricked” could be anything. Could you maybe tell at which point it does not work?

Can you choose Manjaro at the Grub Menu?

Correct. There is some text with the size of the drive but outside of that, it doesnt even get to the drive. TTY menus were unavailable (further explained below).

This is what I was mentioning above. No way to recover, no way to get back into the system (that I’m aware of) though I have seen some ways to mount the installed system to a live partition in order to solve the issue.

So after beating my head against a wall (figuratively) I tried to install the driver via settings, which has never worked before, and it just worked… I’m just as upset as I am happy. :joy: I have no idea how its working now after installing drivers and reinstalling linux well over ten times…

However I’m having problems updating the driver now that it is unexpectedly working though I’m not sure if I should post that somewhere else. Regardless here is the log file… Not sure what I may be doing right or wrong…

nvidia-installer log file '/var/log/nvidia-installer.log'
creation time: Thu Jun 10 19:16:58 2021
installer version: 430.40

PATH: /home/daarkblood/.local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/bin/site_perl:/usr/bin/vendor_perl:/usr/bin/core_perl:/var/lib/snapd/snap/bin

nvidia-installer command line:
    ./nvidia-installer

Unable to load: nvidia-installer ncurses v6 user interface

Unable to load: nvidia-installer ncurses user interface

Using: nvidia-installer ncurses v6 user interface (widechar)
-> Detected 28 CPUs online; setting concurrency level to 28.
ERROR: An NVIDIA kernel module 'nvidia-drm' appears to already be loaded in your kernel.  This may be because it is in use (for example, by an X server, a CUDA program, or the NVIDIA Persistence Daemon), but this may also happen if you>
ERROR: Installation has failed.  Please see the file '/var/log/nvidia-installer.log' for details.  You may find suggestions on fixing installation problems in the README available on the Linux driver download page at www.nvidia.com.

I’m sorry if I wasted your time! I was fully expecting it to fail again so that I could collect information to provide regarding the problem.

Can you post the content of /var/log/nvidia-installer.log?

Of course! This is what is in the file:

I know this indicates an error but I can’t say what.

GNU nano 5.7                                                                   /var/log/nvidia-installer.log                                                                             
nvidia-installer log file '/var/log/nvidia-installer.log'
creation time: Thu Jun 10 19:16:58 2021
installer version: 430.40

PATH: /home/daarkblood/.local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/bin/site_perl:/usr/bin/vendor_perl:/usr/bin/core_perl:/var/lib/snapd/snap/bin

nvidia-installer command line:
    ./nvidia-installer

Unable to load: nvidia-installer ncurses v6 user interface

Unable to load: nvidia-installer ncurses user interface

Using: nvidia-installer ncurses v6 user interface (widechar)
-> Detected 28 CPUs online; setting concurrency level to 28.
ERROR: An NVIDIA kernel module 'nvidia-drm' appears to already be loaded in your kernel.  This may be because it is in use (for example, by an X server, a CUDA program, or the NVIDIA Per>
ERROR: Installation has failed.  Please see the file '/var/log/nvidia-installer.log' for details.  You may find suggestions on fixing installation problems in the README available on the>