GPU drivers listing is confusing - help needed for correct one

Maybe the modesetting is acting up, I don’t have that on my system, but let cscs have his say first.

1 Like

thanks!n haha I’ve still got a misbehaving bluetooth mouse to troubleshoot as well, so I’ll keep on with that…

Okey doke.

Looks like the correct profile … we can do our due dilligence and update, reinstall the driver:

sudo pacman -Syu
sudo mhwd -f -i pci video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-prime

but the juicy bits have been shown:

This is unusual … normally provider 0 is the iGPU and provider 1 is the dGPU.

EDIT - Nevermind I guess. I have just been informed by some people that actually use nvidia (+ prime) that sometimes it looks like that and it is not a reason why prime would not work.
So … there must be some other reason why nvidia is the default …

1 Like

Right, will do that now…will post that again afterwards if its different

Okay - first command said nothing to do

Second one did a whole lot of uninstalling and installing with a few warning messages about firmware missing for various things, no fonts found…but the end result was

Successfully installed video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-prime

re ran the mhwd - all the same, except it added at the bottom

> 0000:00:02.0 (0300:8086:9a49) Display controller Intel Corporation:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  NAME               VERSION          FREEDRIVER           TYPE
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-prime            2023.03.23               false            PCI
video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-470xx-prime            2023.03.23               false            PCI
           video-linux            2018.05.04                true            PCI
     video-modesetting            2020.01.13                true            PCI
            video-vesa            2017.03.12                true            PCI

ooh. fancy. maybe it did help something then. Reboot and check glxinfo commands.

1 Like

redid both glxinfo commands after re-boot and both reported the nVidia , no intel…but as you posted above perhaps that’s the way it has to be (paraphrased).

I was sure I read somewhere that Manjaro could use both depending on the task at hand, but I’ve been reading about so many distros before I settled on keeping Manjaro, I am probably confusing it with something else hahaha!

So upshot is it seems this is as far as we can go with this, and that’s ok I can live with it…thanks heaps to you cscs and bedna for your time and knowledge on it, much appreciated!

now back to my misbehaving blue tooth mouse issue haha!

This is how I dealt with it too for a long time, until I figured out the hdmi port thing.

The downside is your system will draw a little bit more power, that’s about it.

I AM looking, but very slowly since my system kinda works, into reverse prime, probably what you should too.

A side note on my “problem”. Everything works on my system with one monitor, haven’t tried more tbh,
I also make backups with clonezilla by booting the iso directly from the grub menu.
After moving my hdmi, that suddenly didn’t work, I spent one day trying to figure out why and then it hit me… I switched the hdmi back and yepp, there it was, was loaded in perfectly the whole time but that means my other tty:s doesn’t work, so when I’m done I have to switch the cable back. :sweat_smile:

Your system works at full capacity it seems at least.

Reverse prime is what I would look into.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/PRIME#Reverse_PRIME

Cool!! Thanks I will.

And just to round off the thread here is the grep listing

lspci | grep VGA
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation TigerLake-LP GT2 [Iris Xe Graphics] (rev 01)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation TU106M [GeForce RTX 2060 Mobile] (rev a1

provide full system info:
inxi -zav7
and do you use optimus?
also output from:
pacman -Qm
ls /etc/modprobe.d
find /etc/X11/ -name "*.conf"

partial inxi -zav7 data as it relates to GPUs

Graphics:
  Device-1: Intel TigerLake-LP GT2 [Iris Xe Graphics] driver: i915 v: kernel
    arch: Gen-12.1 process: Intel 10nm built: 2020-21 ports: active: none
    empty: DP-2, DP-3, DP-4, DP-5 bus-ID: 00:02.0 chip-ID: 8086:9a49
    class-ID: 0300
  Device-2: NVIDIA TU106M [GeForce RTX 2060 Mobile] vendor: Intel
    driver: nouveau v: kernel alternate: nvidia_drm,nvidia non-free: 535.xx+
    process: TSMC 12nm FF built: 2018-22 pcie: gen: 1 speed: 2.5 GT/s lanes: 4
    link-max: gen: 3 speed: 8 GT/s lanes: 16 ports: active: HDMI-A-1
    empty: DP-1 bus-ID: 01:00.0 chip-ID: 10de:1f15 class-ID: 0300 temp: 33.0 C
  Display: x11 server: X.Org v: 21.1.8 compositor: xfwm v: 4.18.0 driver: X:
    loaded: modesetting alternate: fbdev,vesa dri: nouveau,iris gpu: nouveau

I note the driver for the nVidia is listed as nouveau (with the nVidia listed as alternate)…isn’t that the open source driver and not proprietary? As it is listed first is that the drier the nVidia card will use first?

This is an Intel NUC box and as it can do video from HDMI, mini display port and USB-C I am still trying to figure out whch GPU is connected to which port, or maybe everything is connect to everything?

Found this at Intel - https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000058157/intel-nuc.html

So you DO have more than one port.
If that is the model you have you seem to have quite a few.

It is already confirmed that everything is running on your nvidia with the 2 commands glxinfo | grep 'renderer string' and prime-run glxinfo | grep 'renderer string'

What you can do is try to connect your monitor to the other ports, reboot and retry the commands. Idealy you want your system to only show nvidia when using prime-run, the other command should idealy return your igpu.

Edit
Missed the other post. yes, it seems you are correct, the open source drivers seems to be loaded. You could blacklist nouveau. Or I think you can uninstall video-linux since your hybrid should be taking care of both gpu:s.
But first read the nvidia arch wiki and make sure you have everything set there first, modules in mkinitcpio.conf and whatnot.

I’m not sure thats a problem now that you have installed the prime profile… but in any case you will need to reboot for a number of changes to go into effect.

it looks like you dont have installed the proprietary drivers, since nouveau is being loaded… if the proprietary drivers would be installed, nouveau would be blacklisted…
post output from:
mhwd -l -li
ls /etc/modprobe.d

please read the complete thread.

Can work perfectly fine without any blacklisting, it CAN be a demand, but just installing nvidia drivers doesn’t blacklist anything.

haha, yes - I knew they were all there, but I just assumed it was only the hdmi that did all the work primarily, According to that chart they all do something…just wish I could find out from Intel which card is linked directly to which port, if indeed there is that distinction. Cannot find that info anywhere.

I have a feeling that it is all still running on the free drivers though. The “lagginess” is not something I’d expect of a card with the quality of the 2060, I mean it’s not top shelf by any means, but running a solitaire end game graphic smoothly and without jitter I would have thought would be within its capabilities.

mhwd -l -li

> Installed PCI configs:
video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-prime            2023.03.23               false            PCI

Warning: No installed USB configs!
> 0000:01:00.0 (0300:10de:1f15) Display controller nVidia Corporation:
video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-470xx-prime            2023.03.23               false            PCI
          video-nvidia            2023.03.23               false            PCI
    video-nvidia-470xx            2023.03.23               false            PCI

> 0000:00:02.0 (0300:8086:9a49) Display controller Intel Corporation:

/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/90-mhwd.conf
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/00-keyboard.conf
/etc/X11/mhwd.d/nvidia.conf

ls /etc/modprobe.d

mhwd-gpu.conf

Moderator edit: Fixed formatting. Please be more mindful in the future.

I revert my statement, Manjaro does indeed blacklist nouveau in modprobe.d

Can you cat that file please: cat /etc/modprobe.d/mhwd-gpu.conf

And while you are at it: cat /etc/mkinitcpio.conf | grep MODULES=

And: ls -l /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/

cat /etc/modprobe.d/mhwd-gpu.conf
##
## Generated by mhwd - Manjaro Hardware Detection
##

blacklist nouveau
blacklist ttm
blacklist drm_kms_helper
blacklist drm
options nvidia "NVreg_DynamicPowerManagement=0x02"
cat /etc/mkinitcpio.conf | grep MODULES=
#     MODULES=(usbhid xhci_hcd)
MODULES=""
ls -l /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/
total 4
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 232 Aug 12 07:26 00-keyboard.conf
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  27 Aug 12 12:42 90-mhwd.conf -> /etc/X11/mhwd.d/nvidia.conf

Should I now delete Video Linux and Video Modesetting still listed as installed in Settings Manager?