GPU drivers listing is confusing - help needed for correct one

I am getting glitchy graphics on my test app (Solitaire) so I am assuming the XFCE system is using some default Linux driver…so I went to the Settings Manager hardware section and found this:

Firstly, can anyone advise which of these IS the correct nVidia driver to use (or do I need to go direct to the nVidia website and do a full manual install) and which is the correct Intel on-board graphics driver?

The “hybrid” in these is confusing to me…interested to know what it actually means.

I am assuming that the system is using neither the intel or nVidia drivers - based on performance in anything that is not simply a file on the system or browsing.

Oh, I uninstalled the video-linux immediately before this post and have not re-booted yet, JUST in case I “broke” something…so again assuming, the system is still running on that driver??

Of course if there is some other OE (operator error) going on, I am always happy to learn

Thanks

The wiki can. But also theres 2 available there … one that is legacy with an (old) version number … and one that is current without a version number.
(both are ‘hybrid-prime’ because you have dual graphics)

You have a hybrid system. with an integrated iGPU and dedicated dGPU. Thats your hardware.
The provided profiles match that.

Looks like you have the latest nvidia prime driver profile.
Are you looking for something else?

You can test it working like:

glxinfo | grep 'renderer string'
prime-run glxinfo | grep 'renderer string'
1 Like

Thanks for the reply - umm, any idea why the graphics are glitchy then? It’s a pretty late model GPU. Which is why I thought it was using default drivers

Probably lack of configuration.

Also probably have not yet understood how prime works.

Run the suggested test commands.

(and read the wiki)

If prime is working as intended … you will be using the weaker integrated gpu by default … and use the more powerful dedicated card when you invoke prime-run.

1 Like

Cooly, will do - thanks

I get bash: glxinfo: command not found

Its provided by mesa-utils, which I am surprised you do not have installed… but you can add it…
(ex: sudo pacman -Syu mesa-utils)

1 Like

Thanks- I did a default install, and the auto update (1.4gigs) of files after installation…it is installed now I think.

And so …

glxinfo | grep 'renderer string'
prime-run glxinfo | grep 'renderer string'

?

$ glxinfo | grep ‘renderer string’
prime-run glxinfo | grep ‘renderer string’
OpenGL renderer string: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060/PCIe/SSE2

Might research how to run a NVIDIA config on the system…

Still reading the link…

You ran both commands together?
One at a time.

It kinda already gave you positive output though.

The first should return the iGPU.
The second one (beginning with prime-run) should output the nvidia.

When I ran it separately it came up with the nvidia both times - intel did not appear…that’s why I thought I had to run it concurrently…

Oh and I set the nVidia tpo performance -and made no difference still glitchy - got to go to work now (im in Oz) but I’ll be back later - thanks heaps for your help!!

Oh I noticed you removed video-linux.
I’m not sure thats a problem now that you have installed the prime profile… but in any case you will need to reboot for a number of changes to go into effect.

back from work (morning session) - it’s a little bit better after reboot, but solitaire end of game graphic is still “stuttery”.

I read a tute somewhere that explained how to do it direct from nvidia (ensuring it is the latest driver) Might have a go at that one. I always use that graphic from solitaire as a test, as it seems to be a heavy user of the gpu (dunno why?) and saves installing and loading games at the setup stage!

Just a hunch, try connecting your hdmi cable to the motherboard connection (not the nvidia card connection) and reboot your system, login and then run the 2 commands again.

This is the behavior my computer shows (except for the glitches) if I use the nvidia hdmi ports, only nvidia is used 100% hence making the hybrid drivers completely unnecessary.

You can also test this by pressing ctrl+alt+f3, this should show you a tty login screen.
If your monitor just turns black, switch the cable back to the nvidia gpu post and see if the tty output is there, then switch back with ctrl+alt+f? (used to be f1, I’m not sure, you have to try your way on this one).
Apparently a bug moved the main tty from f1 to f2, and that has not been fixed for months, f1 only shows the loading splash information on my computer.

Thanks, and is a good tip- however I am running an Intel NUC Box (11-i7) Only one HDMI port.

Then it’s hard to test with that method. xD

But does changing the tty work?

haha, haven’t go that far yet…still trying to make sense of the manjaro link from cscs ^

EDIT: I’ll give it a quick try now though…nope nothing happens at all.

Yeah, read up on that.

The problem you seem to have is you use your nvidia for everything (if both commands gives you the nvidia card), I havent checked, but you nuc does have an internal gpu correct?

If it is behaving unexpectedly then you might find more info with:

xrandr --listproviders

Yep, and I’m not sure it’s using it for the “everyday” that grep ^ only listed the nVidia for both…according to the screen shot ^^ a driver has been installed.

Now, I had read that Manjaro can cleverly recognise when you are running a game and will auto switch to the discrete GPU, then back to the system (in this case Intel) - but I need to get these things sorted before I can test properly I think.