GPG keys' directory

Hey!
I want to know where all GPG keys that I added are located on my computer.
And also, will all the GPG keys on my computer be deleted after reinstalling Manjaro or installing another distro/DE?

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GnuPG#Directory_location

Only if you donā€™t back them up. :wink:

1 Like

Thank you for quick response!
I also wanted to know what are these keys used for and can it affect my computer in the bad way (maybe by sharing the viruses etc.)? Because I accidentally tried to install another key, that I didnā€™t need (key by Fernando Azenha if it makes any sense) and, I think, fortunately, something went wrong and it wasnā€™t added to my computer, as I understood.

Keys 1-10 of 169 for ā€œFINGERPRINTā€. Enter number(s), N)ext, or Q)uit > 1
gpg: key AED5AD4E48DF3F80: ā€œFernando Azenha fazenha@fingerprint.com.brā€ not changed
gpg: Total number processed: 1
gpg: unchanged: 1

So I want to know if I can catch any viruses or other unwanted software to my computer by accidentally installing unknown key.

Well, remove it then. See man gpg.

The thing is that I tried, but it says like it wasnā€™t installed:

[frowyy@LenovoV510-15IKB Downloads]$ gpg --delete-keys Fernando Azenha
gpg (GnuPG) 2.2.27; Copyright (C) 2021 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.
There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.

pub  rsa3072/AED5AD4E48DF3F80 2021-02-09 Fernando Azenha <fazenha@fingerprint.com.br>

Delete this key from the keyring? (y/N) y
gpg: key "Azenha" not found: Not found
gpg: Azenha: delete key failed: Not found
[frowyy@LenovoV510-15IKB Downloads]$ 

Maybe it just didnā€™t install? Because another key, that I wanted to install, was processed, but instead of ā€œunchangedā€ there was ā€œimportedā€ and then everything went good.

Keys 1-10 of 169 for ā€œFINGERPRINTā€. Enter number(s), N)ext, or Q)uit > 1
gpg: key AED5AD4E48DF3F80: ā€œFernando Azenha fazenha@fingerprint.com.brā€ not changed
gpg: Total number processed: 1
gpg: unchanged: 1

And can GPGā€™s and GPG keys contain in itself any viruses or any unwanted software? Because I canā€™t find any information on this topic.

Thanks for help! I appreciate it!

Try:

gpg --delete-keys "Fernando Azenha"

Or:

gpg --delete-keys AED5AD4E48DF3F80

No. See:

1 Like

Thanks for the reply!

I made some research and understood that GPG is pretty much the same as PGP, but made for GNU/Linux. So all the rules must apply to GPG too?

I will try those commands to delete the key, but anyway Iā€™m going to reinstall my OS so it must be deleted after it.

Now Iā€™m curious in one thing, what can happen if your key is not secure? Will it provide less security (itā€™s obviousšŸ˜‚) or what exactly?

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.