Got `no such cryptodisk found` after broke my dual-boot laptop

(The installed system is not Manjaro but I’m using Manjaro live USB to fix the problem … that’s why I decided to post here.)

The problem

I have dualboot between Windows 8.1. and OpenSUSE TumbleWeed with encrypted harddisk.
And now, when I try to boot the laptop - I get this error:

Welcome to GRUB!

error: no such cryptodisk found.
error: disk 'cryptouuid/...' not found.
Entering rescue mode...
grub rescue> _ 

How I got here:

I wanted to increase the Windows partition size, so I shrinked the Linux one. Thus some unallocated space appeared at the end of the harddisk. And I wanted to add it to the Windows partition, while the Linux one is between them. Which caused the corruption … (Didn’t know it will … so stupid …)

The state at the moment:

These are the partitions at the moment:

/dev/sda1        A6FA-7092                              vfat       SYSTEM
/dev/sda2        1A08019608017255                       ntfs       Windows
/dev/sda3        C090CFA090CF9AF4                       ntfs       
/dev/sda4        6e0637a3-2cd0-4411-8923-1bbea143a68a   crypto_LUKS 
/dev/sda5        60F8C9E0F8C9B496                       ntfs       Extended

sda4 is my Suse partition. I can see all my files there when I open it with file manager and enter the password for it. So my hope is that I’ll be able to restore the things as they were before and not have to re-install everything again.

What I tried so far:

I followed a tutorial I found and so - I booted Manjaro from USB (cause I got only that at that moment), mounted the Linux partition on /mnt and also /dev, /sys and /proc to /mnt/(dev|sys|proc) … then I did chroot to /mnt and tried update-grub. Manjaro doesn’t have update-grub command so I found that I have to do grub-mkconfig -o {path-to-grub.cfg}.
I tried, it gave me a lot of errors and no result.

===

Anything I can do here? … Any help will be appreciated.

Hi :wave:

I would guess that the UUID has been changed while modifing the partition. You need to change that in fstab also.

A log would be nice…

In fact update-grub is there on the live disk. Did you forget your efi partition?

Thanks for the info, @megavolt .

When I ran the command to regenerate grub (grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg) - I got this:

grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg 
error: invalid volume.
/usr/bin/grub2-editenv: error: disk `cryptouuid/6e0637a32cd0441189231bbea143a68a' not found.
Generating grub configuration file ...
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-5.8.10-1-default
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd-5.8.10-1-default
/usr/sbin/grub2-probe: error: disk `cryptouuid/6e0637a32cd0441189231bbea143a68a' not found.
/usr/sbin/grub2-probe: error: disk `cryptouuid/6e0637a32cd0441189231bbea143a68a' not found.
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-5.8.7-1-default
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd-5.8.7-1-default
Oct 06 21:47:23 | DM multipath kernel driver not loaded
grub2-probe: error: cannot find a GRUB drive for /dev/sda5.  Check your device.map.
grub2-probe: error: cannot find a GRUB drive for /dev/sdb1.  Check your device.map.
Found Windows 8 on /dev/sda1
/usr/bin/grub2-editenv: error: disk `cryptouuid/6e0637a32cd0441189231bbea143a68a' not found.
done

So - this correlates with the error I get when I try to boot from the hard drive - that the disk with UUID … was not found.

====

When I run gparted - I see option to set new UUID on that partition. But I’m not sure if this is safe.

So - is there anything I can do here?

Sorry, i can only give you a hint, since i never used to encrypt my partitions. At least the UUID needs to be fixed. Maybe someone with more experience could help you.

No worries, @megavolt, any info I can get is welcome.

I backed up everything important, so I got a bit more brave and deleted the windows partitions - so that now the things are much simpler.
When I run sudo lsblk -f from live USB - I get this:

NAME                        FSTYPE            FSVER  UUID
sda
  - sda1             
  - sda4                    crypto_LUKS       1           6e0637...
    - luks-6e0637...        ext4                1.0       082f44...

The UUID that starts with 6e0637 is what can not be found upon booting.

And at the same time - when I check the etc/fstab file on the old SUSE partition - I see only this:

UUID=082f44...        /       ext4        acl,user_xattr        0       1

=====

Does that mean that if I fix the fstab file - it’ll be able to boot correctly into Suse? And if so - can I use a command that will automatically fill the fstab with the correct info?

Possible. Worth a try. Since the log says, it is looking for 6e0637 and not 082f44. An no, you need to copy paste it there or type it.

Or try this:

Make a backup:

sudo cp /etc/fstab /etc/fstab.sav

create a variable:

export uuid=$(lsblk -frno UUID /dev/sda4)

Test it:

sed -r 's/082f44.+/'$uuid'/g' /etc/fstab.sav

Overwrite the fstab:

sed -r 's/082f44.+/'${uuid}'/g' /etc/fstab.sav > /etc/fstab

Thank you for the info, @megavolt

However - the lsblk -frno uuid /dev/sda4 command returns two lines:

6e0637...
082f44...

And then the sed command gives me error unterminated 's' command. (Probably because of the new line in the result of lsblk?)

=====

I tried also one more things - backed up fstab and created a new one where I just replaced the UUID with the wanted one. (Not sure if this was the goal actually.) Upon booting however I got the old error - no such cryptodisk / disk ‘cryptouuid/6e0637…’ found

Any ideas what I can try?

@PetyrVeliki
I have found here something: fstab - ArchWiki

I guess you have to change the UUID in /etc/crypttab

1 Like

Aaah, @megavolt … that must have been the solution … :slight_smile:

However, the thing is that I have a deadline and had to act quickly, so today I wiped out the entire SSD and installed the stuff a-new. I’ve backed up the most vital info so was able to work again in very short time.

=====

But still, thank you so much for all the help and the info you provided. As a matter of fact - when I see what the guys from the arch linux stated in the article you’ve provided - most probably I would have been able to boot into my old Linux. … So I’ll mark this as solved as it may help other guys who encounter the same issue and/or situation.

And - of course - all the kudos are for you, mate :sunglasses:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.