“Google has detected a new login on your Linux device”

I get these e-mails periodically (maybe when Firefox updates?) even though I’ve been using the same install for years. Today, Google also removed my other accounts (I do volunteer work for a couple of orgs so have to switch accounts a bit) and so I got multiple message like this to different e-mail addresses warning me about the “new” device when I re-added them.

Does anyone know why this is a thing on Linux, but not on Windows? Could Firefox do a better job here? Or is Google just being dumb?

Edit: I suppose this has to be “solved” since it was moved into Support, but I wasn’t asking for support. This became a significant problem yesterday when I urgently needed to use Google services away from home, but Google had decided that the Manjaro on my laptop was a new device (again) and my (dying) phone battery had just shut the phone down.

Manjaro forums would be a friendlier place if everything wasn’t seen as a nail needing a hammering. Community comes from discussion, whether it’s directly utilitarian or not.

It is for security - a service message - if it was you then don’t worry - if it was not - you should worry.

I know what it is, I’m just trying to find out why we get these irrelevant messages on Linux. They are never new logins.

Are you using vpn? The more security conscious you try to connect, the ‘dumber’ google acts…

1 Like

No VPN. I do use a pihole, but this only seems to happen a few times a year. I’ve never seen it happen on Windows.

To my understanding - the messages are sent when your device is connecting using a previously unregistered - as in connection with your device - public IP address.

Even if you do not use VPN your provider may have reset your router due to a network reconfiguration and suddenly your home network becomes unknown to google from a last seen perspective.

The change of address can be a lot things and is usually legit but in case of a stolen device - the message is highly relevant - first it makes one aware the device is not where it used to be and second it may provide a rough indication of where it is.

As already mentioned - using a VPN will likely trigger the message - especially when logging in - but as many users allow their google chrome browser to stay logged in at all times - the new network location may be important in determining if the device was nicked or you just flew across the country and logged on 400 km from home.

Many devices - especially the latest iterations of Windows 11 - offer to stay unlocked when you are within a certain geographic location or within range of a certain known wifi network - which may explain why you haven’t seen it on Windows yet.

I get the exact same messages and found out it’s because I don’t save cookies.

1 Like

I delete my cookies once a month and when I log in to google I get that message. I also get it from some of the sites (like my bank) after deleting cookies. If they really bother you write a rule to push these messages into a folder.

I don’t use a VPN and I have a static IP used from the same location.

I don’t habitually delete cookies either. I don’t always accept all cookies, but if I didn’t accept any cookies these services probably wouldn’t ever recognise me.

In any case - the messages are informational - and unless you configure your google account (if that is possible - look for the security settings) to stop sending you messages - you will just have to accept it.

There’s really no need to continue this thread - apparently it leads nowhere.

A last note:
If you are in the google-sphere anyway, why not install google-chrome.
It has a unique user-id and will defenitly know it is you and give you full sync funtion back.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.