Google-chrome-stable crashes

I installed 2-3 times google-chrome-stable, it always crashes with the same message:

❯ google-chrome-stable
chrome_crashpad_handler: --database is required
Try 'chrome_crashpad_handler --help' for more information.
[43335:43335:0310/] recvmsg: Connection reset by peer (104)
[1]    43335 trace trap (core dumped)  google-chrome-stable

any idea why?
googling it didn’t help so far.

According to :

I had the same issue and someone advised me to remove ~/.gtkrc-2.0 which did fix it for me. No idea why though.

So try that to see if it works.


I don’t use chrome, or care for it really, so there’s no way for me to test this…

❯ rm -rf ~/.gtkrc-2.0

❯ google-chrome-stable
chrome_crashpad_handler: --database is required
Try 'chrome_crashpad_handler --help' for more information.
[1]    87706 trace trap (core dumped)  google-chrome-stable

that’s what you meant, right?

It is yes, but I see this also:

…so see what happens when you do exactly that:

google-chrome-stable --database


Also, since it’s from the AUR, did you rebuild it after the last update, like you should have?

pamac build google-chrome

yeah, tried that before. nothing happens.

❯ google-chrome-stable --database
chrome_crashpad_handler: --database is required
Try 'chrome_crashpad_handler --help' for more information.
[172410:172410:0310/] recvmsg: Connection reset by peer (104)
[1]    172410 trace trap (core dumped)  google-chrome-stable --database

I tried the paman one as well. same result

❯ pamac build google-chrome
** Message: 14:00:32.103: aur_plugin.vala:317: downloading AUR data
Checking google-chrome dependencies...
Warning: google-chrome-122.0.6261.111-1 is up to date -- reinstalling
Resolving dependencies...
Checking inter-conflicts...

To build (1):
  google-chrome  122.0.6261.111-1                      AUR

Edit build files : [e]
Apply transaction ? [e/y/N] y

Cloning google-chrome build files...
Generating google-chrome information...
==== AUTHENTICATING FOR org.manjaro.pamac.commit ====
Authentication is required to install, update, or remove packages
Authenticating as: Antonis (antouank)

Building google-chrome...
==> Making package: google-chrome 122.0.6261.111-1 (Sun 10 Mar 2024 14:00:44 GMT)
==> Checking runtime dependencies...
==> Checking buildtime dependencies...
==> Retrieving sources...
  -> Downloading google-chrome-stable_122.0.6261.111-1_amd64.deb...
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
100  101M  100  101M    0     0  26.0M      0  0:00:03  0:00:03 --:--:-- 26.0M
  -> Found eula_text.html
  -> Found
==> Validating source files with sha512sums...
    google-chrome-stable_122.0.6261.111-1_amd64.deb ... Passed
    eula_text.html ... Passed ... Passed
==> Removing existing $srcdir/ directory...
==> Extracting sources...
  -> Extracting google-chrome-stable_122.0.6261.111-1_amd64.deb with bsdtar
==> Entering fakeroot environment...
==> Starting package()...
==> Tidying install...
  -> Removing empty directories...
  -> Removing libtool files...
  -> Purging unwanted files...
  -> Removing static library files...
  -> Compressing man and info pages...
==> Checking for packaging issues...
==> Creating package "google-chrome"...
  -> Generating .PKGINFO file...
  -> Generating .BUILDINFO file...
  -> Adding install file...
  -> Generating .MTREE file...
  -> Compressing package...
==> Leaving fakeroot environment.
==> Finished making: google-chrome 122.0.6261.111-1 (Sun 10 Mar 2024 14:00:51 GMT)
==> Cleaning up...

Checking keyring...                                                                                                                                               [1/1]
Checking integrity...                                                                                                                                             [1/1]
Loading package files...                                                                                                                                          [1/1]
Checking file conflicts...                                                                                                                                        [1/1]
Checking available disc space...                                                                                                                                  [1/1]
Reinstalling google-chrome (122.0.6261.111-1)...                                                                                                                  [1/1]
Running post-transaction hooks...
Arming ConditionNeedsUpdate...                                                                                                                                    [1/3]
Updating icon theme caches...                                                                                                                                     [2/3]
Updating the desktop file MIME type cache...                                                                                                                      [3/3]
Transaction successfully finished.

~ took 21s
❯ google-chrome-stable --database
chrome_crashpad_handler: --database is required
Try 'chrome_crashpad_handler --help' for more information.
[1]    178159 trace trap (core dumped)  google-chrome-stable --database

Try with a clean profile.

To delete the current one:

rm -fr ~/.config/google-chrome


This will permanently delete all your settings and customisations.

1 Like

that fixed it, thank you!

( I probably lost all of the history, but that’s fine. Firefox and Brave are my main browsers )

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.