Google Chrome, Discord, Zoom, and other apps on Manjaro (Plasma KDE) on laptop

Hello! I’m new to Linux, and I’ve just made the transition from Windows to Manjaro a few days ago. It was working great at first, but now it’s really slow and laggy. I switched because I wanted better performance but it isn’t snappy like everyone told me it would be?

It’s a little weird because it’ll be really fast and buttery-smooth sometimes while doing heavy-duty tasks (e.g. Discord/Zoom calls + working on multiple tabs and windows of Google Chrome) but other times my laptop feels like it’s slaving away to do the simplest things. Just a while ago I was in a Zoom call for class, had a note-taking app called RemNote open, Spotify and Discord in the background, as well as a bunch of tabs on Chrome open (by a bunch I’m talking 50+ because of the research paper/s I had previously been working on) and everything was running fine. However, when I tried to open a Chrome window on a separate profile, it’s like everything fell apart. I exited out of Discord and Spotify because I thought it would help, but it was still so slow. I’ve restarted and rebooted, but ever since then Chrome has been significantly slower. A while ago I had all tasks closed and exited and only ran 1 tab on Chrome, and it was so laggy and slow despite being the only thing I was doing.

I’d switch browsers if it wasn’t required by my school. My university tracks my data on top of Google which is just great :>. It gets slower the more tabs I use, but also I’m a student, so I can’t escape that life.

Back when I used Windows, going on a call on Discord or Zoom and doing schoolwork with multiple (suspended) tabs on Chrome sucked like heck, and I thought Linux would do me better. I mean, it’s not worse, but it’s only marginally better than before. I just want to know if I can fix this and see better performance on Linux? It might have to do with my graphic drivers or BIOS, and I would gladly update them myself if I could find procedures more specific for my laptop. I guess I’m just scared I’d download the wrong thing (sorry, again, I’m a noob).

Hello,

Check this to know How to provide good information and share that information with us, as will be more technical and reveal more about your setup and hardware.

1 Like

Unlikely, those apps are I/O bound, meaning that they read and write to your storage frequently and heavily. However, to ensure, you must have a readily accessible monitoring, like these:

The key is to find out which of your resources (CPU, RAM, disk including swap) are exhausted or overused by which processes. There’s no generic answer, it differs from system to system.