Going to replacing Mobo CPU RAM

Hello all,

first at all, sorry for my poor English. Even though I am British, but born and grown up in Germany.

I am planning to change Hardware already ordered. Next week I will get it.
Old from Dez 2011
ASUS - P8Z68-V LX - Mainboard - ATX,
Intel i7 2600K,
RTX 2060 und 2x8 16GB RAM
New
I will replace it to
Intel i7-11700K , Gigabyte Z590 UD AC ATX
RTX 2060 und 2x16 32GB RAM

As of now, internal SSD with Win10 for Gaming like call of duty and so on.
Else I use on an external USB SSD Drive 931,5 GiB 1TB (Samsung Portable SSD T5)

Also I buyed NVME Samsung 980 Pro 500 GB for Windows 10
My plan is to divide it in two partitions Windows 10 200 GB and Manjaro 300 GB
Also a NVME Samsung 970 EVO 1TB for Games and Data Backup and so on.

1st Question.
Will Manjaro KDE recognize, detect NVME Samsung 980 Pro and second NVME 970 EVO and install itself on the second partition of the 980 Pro without destroying the Windows installation?

2nd Question can I just copy all files from my external USB SSD Drive 931,5 GiB 1TB (Samsung Portable SSD T5) all files, into the new Installation, of Samsung 980 Pro?
If question functioned, except the /boot folder?

So that I have the same funktional, as on the external USB SSD Drive 931,5 GiB 1TB (Samsung Portable SSD T5)?

Thank you very much and again sorry for my poor English I have no practise.
For any help Tipps and advises I will be very thankful
I hope you get me in what i was trying to ask.

Tony from Germany Berlin

Hello @Daumeier :wink:

Normally it should detect any NVME…

You can install Manjaro alongside with Windows 10 and the Installer provide also an option for shrinking the windows partition and installing Manjaro on the unallocated space. But it shares then one efi partition, which was troublesome in the past… So I would recommend, if you are able to so, to partition it manually and create a extra efi partition for Manjaro.

So you have already a Installation of Manjaro on the external SSD? It is possible to clone the drive, but the allocated space on the extrernal SSD mustn’t be higher than the unallocated space on the new NVME. You can clone it like here described: dd - ArchWiki

I would not recommend to just copy and paste all files. If you do a new installation and need the home files, then do with rsync:

sudo rsync -avu /path/to/external/ssd/home/ /home

I hope that helps a bit.

Electrifying Greetings from on the right in the corridor under the stairs

Elmo Sputterspark aka Megavolt

1 Like

Hello @Dmegavolt :wink:

Well at my Notebook -I can provide a link to it If I will be asked- MEDION® ERAZER® P15609
Intel® Core™ i7-9750H Prozessor 512 GB PCIe SSD + 1.000 GB HDD
as I installed it it did not reconized the internal 512 GB PCIe SSD, but it was an older Manjaro Kernel Version

Okay I will try, I will do a test Install of Windows with now eytras Driver Programs and than do a test Install of Manjaro
Years ago, I started with Suse than changed to OpenSUSE than to Tumbleweed now I am very satisfied with Manjaro.

Yes but as above my internal internal 512 GB PCIe SSD on my Medion did not regocnized it at all.

I will give it a try. I am no Linux expert. I started with Suse than OpenSUSE leap / Tumbleweed and now Manjaro.

So from more to more I learn more, trying most to solve be myself and be Reading in Forums from so helpful persons like you.

Electrifying Greetings from on the right in the corridor under the stairs

Elmo Sputterspark aka Megavolt

Greetings back by an Electric shocked person :wink:
Tony

PS I hope with quote functioned

Ok I looked it up… seems this chipset is used? Mobile Intel® HM370 Chipset Produktspezifikationen

Therefore it has Intel RST (Intel® Rapid Storage-Technologie) … There you need to load the driver for it, which is called vmd. On the newest dev build it now activated by default, what was not the case. It was needed to add the vmd module to the initramfs (early load) manually, so that it can work.

If possible, disable Intel RST and set it to AHCI mode. Anything else will not work at the moment.

You can quote a text easily by marking the text with mouse and then a button will popup Quote (or Zitat), click on it and it gets copied and paste.

Even with it disabled, the vmd module is still needed (in the initramfs). I can confirm this on two different laptops.

Thank goodness this is being applied as the new default moving forwards:

:relaxed:

Hello megavolt,

many thanks again. Now I understood the quote thing :wink:

yes correct HM370 and yes in the BIOS I can change from “Intel RST and set it to AHCI mode.”

1st Question
What will happen if I change it?

2nd Question
And what will happen after change with the boot of my Windows on the internal 512 GB PCIe SSD?
Will Windows still we be able to boot up? All I know is long long years ago … Win 98 or XP or 7 took it personal and didn’t want to start properly anymore and a new Install was a must be.

3rd Question
Ater the change from Intel RST and set it to AHCI mode.
And after I made a Backup from my Windows 10.
Will I be able to delete the “512 GB PCIe SSD” and Install Manjaro instead?
With the newest Manjaro Download Version “kde-21.1.4-210925-linux513.iso”
Or shrink the Windows Partition, instead of deleting it, and then Install Manjaro?

I am so thankful that you @megavolt and @winnie and all other do this helpful work here

many thanks

greetings Tony

@winnie thank you… all over the years I learned much enough to do most by my own all my little problems with Linux.

But what you just wrote exceeds far my Linux knowledge haha :slight_smile:

Will I be able withe newest Download - kde-21.1.4-210925-linux513.iso to install on my internal 512 GB PCIe SSD?

because on my Installation now, I cannot access my internal 512 GB PCIe SSD but my other internal + 1.000 GB HDD.

and your

Means I need to install it, with the newest - kde-21.1.4-210925-linux513.iso
Add the “VMD”

before reboot?

But honestly, I don’t understand a word about how and what and where to enter mkinitcpio.conf what? haha :slight_smile:

even to you, thank you so much for your answer

Greetings
Tony

But all please don’t forget my main Question?

Changing Hardware and my running Manjaro transferring from external SSD to the internal NVME Samsung 980 Pro?
So that I don’t need to install all new Apps and Settings and so on?

Thanks, and greetings
Tony

Depends which mode is used and how you installed Windows.

Since it is only one Disk and maybe RAID mode has been set, I would say nothing happens to Windows, since RAID means an installation on at least 2 disks. Windows 10 should be clever enough to load the AHCI driver instead, since the Installation don’t depend on a second disk.

I know… these days WinXP was really picky when changing from IDE to AHCI made, while Linux had no problems at all with it. Win10 should be clever, prove me wrong…

Theoretically yes… but prove me wrong :wink:

Systemd has also a kernel parameter option for loading modules early without mkinitcpio:

modules_load=vmd

https://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/kernel-command-line.html#modules_load=

Just edit the grub menu with E and add this to the parameter after quiet.

Thank you @megavolt ,

seem you’re a sympatric person, i could symbolically hug you :wink:

I will give it a try with these tips and advises, you and winnie gave me.

Some when this week or weekend after replacing my hardware at my PC

except some other gives me some more Advises.

oh in PC Stuff and in Windows I have enough knowledge and experience worked in Tech Support plenty of years.
But on Linux I am an experienced user but not an expert

Many thanks
Tony

The change has been done in release 21.1.4. No need to manually add it.

On an HP laptop with Window 10 pre-installed, doing this made Windows unbootable. However, I didn’t care, because I did not want to dual-boot, but rather use the entire storage for Manjaro. After disabling RST, I formatted both “drives”.

They appear as separate drives in the BIOS and under Manjaro after disabling RST, yet these two storages really exist in a single physical device.

/dev/nvme0 and /dev/nvme1 are both on the same physical device. I installed Manjaro’s root system on the much smaller nvme0, and placed /home on nvme1.

Hey you two experts,

many thanks.
All went fine at my PC.
My Notebook is and will stay my second project, but not at this time, later on I will start it.

So back to my PC.
I replayed the hardware Mobo CPU +Fan and RAM

The bios settings are so much and overwhelming that I had changed my approach.
By default, it was AHCI mode I think, and I can’t prove you wrong Win 10 bootet up I think forgot in meantime :wink:

Win 10 on the NVME Samsung 980 Pro 500 GB and games and data on the NVME Samsung 970 EVO 1TB.
Later I downsized the OS NVME. and on it Manjaro successfully installed.

My second project notebook. I will start again later. But once during a boot I changed from “Intel RST and set it to AHCI mode”, then the internal drives were visible.

I just don’t know exactly whether it was only during the test installation from the USB stick or also when booting from my external USB SSD Drive 931.5 GiB 1TB (Samsung Portable SSD T5).
The installation that I had just started, but then canceled.

Because the internal “512 GB PCIe SSD” were then also visible.

Later when I have a backup of my internal 512 GB PCIe SSD.
And I thought about which constellation I would like to have, DUAL boot or just Manjaro I’ll try again.

My thanks will creep behind you both forever :wink:

Here is a virtual hug
and here is a coffee or beer for both of you, depending on which of the two you prefer. :wink:

Greetings
Tony

1 Like