Gnome screencast crash

Hey, screencast crashes for me after start. Copied from gnome gitlab as they redirected me here.

JS LOG: Failed to start recorder: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Failed: Failed to start screen cast: Couldn't connect pipewire context

System info
Kernel: 5.15.62-2-MANJARO
Gnome version: 42.4
Distribution: Manjaro Rolling
Reproducing steps

Install gnome screenshot if not installed
  Press print screen
  Click record and start recording, it crashes immidietly.

Expected behavior
Screen recording should start with app indicator in corner.
Current behavior
App crashes.

1 Like

you’ve got to install pipewire as the error-message marks

JS LOG: Failed to start recorder: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Failed: Failed to start screen cast: Couldn't connect pipewire context
1 Like

I do have pipewire

Same problem here with gnome screen recorder (not gnome-screenshot which does not do screencast). Also can not add video screen recording source to OBS so it might be a system-wide issue.

[edit] it seems to be a wayland issue. I tried recording with simple screen recorder and it showed a message saying it was compatible with Xorg but not wayland. Then it produced a black screencast with only the mouse visible.

[edit 2] I installed wireplumber for pipewire and it surprisingly stopped crashing. I might have done additional things but I do not remember. (but still no capture source for OBS)

For me (re)installing pipewire along pulseaudio helped.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.