Gnome-next, testers needed

Many thanks for allowing us to test gnome 40. It’s really great. A very great job.

When we launch the session, gnome opens on the applications window. Do you think it’s a feature or is it a beug?

Feature. It si designed that way

1 Like

@Chrysostomus Some findings about manjaro-gnome-next-20.2.1-unstable-210131 -linux59.iso tested on laptop HP 8530p:

• Thank you for adding gdm screen, now it’s easy to boot and login directly to this new edition.

• Re gnome-shell: Different apps selected from dash are quite clear in small windows on top of blue gnome screen and their icons are present in the bottom panel as well. For me personally those small windows do not present essential added value, maybe, because I’m so (or too) used to switch from one app to other from the dock. But this (small windows) might be very useful feature for somebody.

• However, when I selected 4 apps different from dash and tried to switch one after other couple of rounds from these small windows, all those selected apps as well as the dock suddenly disappeared and empty big blue screed ’Activities’ was frozen. I had to make hard re-boot of the system to get PC going on. I repeated this twice with same result. This should just not happen.

• Re suggestions for Manjaro gnome edition: I would highly appreciate possibility (or option) of easy and smooth cloning Manjaro installation and settings from one machine to others.

thanks, that needs to be added.

I added now networkmanager explicitly.

Thanks. The gnome developers are planning to add a bottom hot corner or hot bottom edge (like we suggested), so that dock becomes more easily accessible. We hope that dash-to-dock survives the update, because it would fit the new layout even better than before.

Those are workspace previews. I also find the desing a little pleonastic, but apparently someone requested it from upstream. :man_shrugging: You can voice your opinion here:

Thank you for the finding, you can report it here:

But it might be best to wait for a few updates first, because it is in quite a flux and bugs such as these might get soon fixed anyway.

If you want to move entire installation to another machine, you can do it with gnome-disks or clonezilla, both of which are included on the live iso. If you mean building installable iso from the running system (without importing personal data), then it has been planned, but it would require me to have a weekend without other projects and those are not easy to come by. :sweat_smile: It’s not difficult to code, it’s just low priority and gets pushed back because other projects require attention.

3 Likes

I tested the newest gnome-next in a VM. I like it.

For me, having a vertical panel (Dash to panel on the right side of the screen) is quite important. My laptops have 16:9 screens, so I need to fight quite a lot, to keep as much vertical space as possible.

Let’s hope that they quickly get Dash to panel to run.

@Chrysostomus Thank you for comments.

Re suggestions about Manjaro gnome edition I mean - as you described - ‘’… building installable iso from the running system (without importing personal data), …’’. I guess all those interested are patient to wait until it will be ready. Such app allows rapid and handy employment and distribution of Manjaro to more desktops and also to more ARM’s within different enduser segments.

Downloading the ISO now and can help test next week after FOSDEM Online

I installed from AUR on bare metal, pretty stable for Alpha, no bugs discovered yet.

There was new images today

1 Like

They are automatically built daily

2 Likes

Pretty nice Gnome :slight_smile: Do I need download new iso every day and install or can it somehow update ?
Is it suitable for daily usage ? thx

Depends of your usage and your needs.

I tested yesterday version, improvements compared to my 1st time (gnome parameters present, network and wallpapers functioning, Pamac and Internet works) but still buggy.

Tweaks still did not launch, installing Dash to Dock extension does not appear in Extensions (predictible, I guess it was coded for Gnome 3.38) and I found it veeery laggy, even for a VM.

If you want to test the changes environment

It is not meant for daily use, these are just tech previews for feedback. But if you like it, nothing keeps you from installing and using it.

1 Like

Gnome 40 performs like crap on VM, you can’t really get a proper feel of it without trying it live on bare metal.

@Chrysostomus

Some findings about manjaro-gnome-next-20.2.1-unstable-210203 -linux59.iso tested on laptop HP 8530p from live-USB, but now without installing to laptop SSD :

• Blue half size screen with dock below at start becomes full screen size from mouse, yes, but not back to half size with dock from mouse, only from Activities in left upper corner.

• Wifi – Ok; Firefox – Ok; Files – Ok; Terminal - Ok, Pacman -Ok; found even 3 packages to be updated; Gnome Extensions – Ok, but buggy; Settings → OK, but Mouse & Touchpad Keyboard settings did not open; Cheese – video and photo OK; move of Cheese photo from USB Files to main SSD Files – Ok; Manjaro Installer – Ok; Suspend – Ok; Restart – Ok; Power Off -Ok.

• No more system freezing when switching between selected (I had 5) apps in meshed order either 1.) from small work space windows or 2.) from big half screen sized windows or 3.) from app icons in the dock – all works OK; here I would like to see possibility squeeze work spaces from full screen size to half screen size just by double clicking mouse (or right clicking) on the work space in question, not only by clicking Activities in left upper corner.

• Addition 5.2.2021:

1.) From M$ Superkey screens size with open apps can be changed to full size and back to half size (but I did not notice this possibility before) :slightly_smiling_face:.

2.) Tested 210205 version, all OK, except in Settings selection of ‘Mouse and Touchpad’ continues to freeze the Settings until system re-reboot.

• Great job !! I’ll wait exited to see all this to run smoothly in the final release !
2 Likes

Yes, there are nightly builds. Please don’t post every time there’s a new release. If folks want to keep track of them, they can subscribe to GitHub notifications.

Hi,

just booted last gnome-next iso with ventoy (is this a good way to test it?)

on my Thinkpad T450 i get a blue screen as background. A strange issue with the mouse cursor: when cursor is over an application windows it shows up as expected. Outside, on the “blue screen” the cursor is a white square. Screenshot doesn’t catch it, so i can’t show here.

Neither gnome settings nor tweaks start when i launch them.

2 Likes

Hi, I tried thee latest Gnome 40 version. The aesthetics and theme is good ad futurestic but it has some bugs. Here are few bugs that I spotted
I. Wayland

The Bugs noticed below.

I am an alpha tester for gnome next and I loved overall experience. But Still, I notice a few bugs.

I.Wayland
                     --------------------------
                          Wayland Compositor has the most bugs. The bugs I found are
                                  1. Mouse pointer is not showing in desktop(A somewhat glitched square like thing is shown) but it is shown in Apps
                                      ![Screenshot from 2021-02-12 17-51-20|690x388](upload://sBpCrdMsfppFwA47ugQCjRNQjSD.png) 

2. Settings apps is not at all opening in wayland.

II. General Problems
                      ----------------------------------------
                           1. Settings App crashes when opening mouse settings or Accessibility or something like that
                           2. A blue colour is shown instead of default background.(I dont know it is a glitch).
                            3.Tweaks Apps is not opening
                            4. Boxes are shown instead of japanese characters.
                            5.Once settings app crashes, it wont reopen.
                            6. Coloured pixels are shown for a fraction of second when exiting full screen in VLC.
                             7.Optimizations need to be done to improve performance

Test Rig

Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 3500u
Graphics: AMD Radeon Vega 8 Mobile GPU
SSD: nvme 512GB(x1)
HDD: seagate 1TB(x1)
RAM: 2400 MHz 16 GB DDR4 Ram
Linux Kernel: 5.19
Wifi: Intel Wifi 6

1 Like