Gnome-next, testers needed

Yes, there are nightly builds. Please don’t post every time there’s a new release. If folks want to keep track of them, they can subscribe to GitHub notifications.

Hi,

just booted last gnome-next iso with ventoy (is this a good way to test it?)

on my Thinkpad T450 i get a blue screen as background. A strange issue with the mouse cursor: when cursor is over an application windows it shows up as expected. Outside, on the “blue screen” the cursor is a white square. Screenshot doesn’t catch it, so i can’t show here.

Neither gnome settings nor tweaks start when i launch them.

2 Likes

Hi, I tried thee latest Gnome 40 version. The aesthetics and theme is good ad futurestic but it has some bugs. Here are few bugs that I spotted
I. Wayland

The Bugs noticed below.

I am an alpha tester for gnome next and I loved overall experience. But Still, I notice a few bugs.

I.Wayland
                     --------------------------
                          Wayland Compositor has the most bugs. The bugs I found are
                                  1. Mouse pointer is not showing in desktop(A somewhat glitched square like thing is shown) but it is shown in Apps
                                      ![Screenshot from 2021-02-12 17-51-20|690x388](upload://sBpCrdMsfppFwA47ugQCjRNQjSD.png) 

2. Settings apps is not at all opening in wayland.

II. General Problems
                      ----------------------------------------
                           1. Settings App crashes when opening mouse settings or Accessibility or something like that
                           2. A blue colour is shown instead of default background.(I dont know it is a glitch).
                            3.Tweaks Apps is not opening
                            4. Boxes are shown instead of japanese characters.
                            5.Once settings app crashes, it wont reopen.
                            6. Coloured pixels are shown for a fraction of second when exiting full screen in VLC.
                             7.Optimizations need to be done to improve performance

Test Rig

Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 3500u
Graphics: AMD Radeon Vega 8 Mobile GPU
SSD: nvme 512GB(x1)
HDD: seagate 1TB(x1)
RAM: 2400 MHz 16 GB DDR4 Ram
Linux Kernel: 5.19
Wifi: Intel Wifi 6

1 Like

Yeah, Even I have the same problem. But I managed to get a mouse pointer in the Xorg compositor. But no luck with Wayland. Also, Gnome settings won’t work in Wayland but in Xorg. Tweaks won’t work on both compositors. Also, I noticed coloured pixels while exiting full screen in my AMD GPU.

Hello.
How to replace current Gnome stable version with Gnome40 but not to reinstall whole system???

TNX

sudo pacman -S gnome-shell-dev

that will install the other needed packages as well 6 or 7 in a whole and after that you got the latest gnome for your entertainment.

I just tested fedora 34 which integrates gnome 40. And it should be noted that it starts directly on the desktop and not on the applications window. I will be curious to know the reason for this different way to do. Maybe this is an option?

Otherwise some application does not work as “gnome-extension” or gnome-tweak

The gnome version is the alpha one but not the beta so maybe it could be corrected

<gnome-version>
 <platform>40</platform>
 <minor>alpha</minor>
 <micro>0</micro>
 <distributor>GNOME.Org</distributor>
 <date>2021-01-29</date>
</gnome-version>%    

Now, when the mouse is hovered, the full name of the application can be read. This is rather good news
The effects of the top panel are very nice

I tested (still in VM) the most recent iso and it’s way much smoother than last time (19 days ago). :+1:t3:
Some lags but it’s very usable otherwise.

The default Manjaro wallpaper is a big improvement compared to the plain blue one. But default mouse icons (maybe Gnome default?) are ugly as hell, especially the “watch” during a loading application.
Gnome-tweaks still doesn’t launch, so no change of icons or theme allowed.

I don’t know if it’s a bug or intended in this new Gnome, I can switch an opened application from workspace on activities view or in application view (sort of) but I cannot launch a new app by drag & drop in the workspace of my choice.
I have to select first the workspace, and then only lauch the application.

I downloaded 3 extensions from Pamac, Dash to Dock & Dash to Panel (still no) and Desktop Icons NG (yay it works!) If I’m correct, they appeared in Extensions app only after reboot. They were placed in Integrated extensions such as in Gnome 3.38, even if not installed by default (due to minimal iso I guess).

I did not try yet other extensions. I know Gnome updates are a nightmare for extensions compatibility.

Ah last thing. I clicked on Mouse and touchpad in Gnome control center. It crashed. (and died) And I cannot launch the settings anymore, even after reboot. FYI, in terminal:

gnome-control-center

(gnome-control-center:1917): GLib-GIO-ERROR **: 22:33:57:999: Settings schema 'org.gnome.settings-daemon.peripherals.mouse' is not installed
zsh: trace trap (core dumped) gnome-control-center

Still buggy but it could be used as daily driver. Nice.

I’m testing it in a USB live environment, where my experiences with daily are pretty silmiar to what Falav has already mentioned.

Gnome-tweaks doesn’t open, broken printer support & a white square mouse pointer on desktop only. Pointer arrow does work over open windows. Perhaps that’s a theme issue, just can’t open Tweaks to troubleshoot.

The live environment does boot to Gnome overview … which I personally really enjoy and like by default. You’re right there at ground zero & ready to work.

Keep up the great work!
GM

Install gnome tweaks from git, that one works.

2 Likes

Hopefully, Manjaro spins Gnome 40 with OOTB fractal scaling for HIDPI monitors. Having several choices already in display settings (I think patched mutter?), rather than needing to hack it manually via terminal.

GM

1 Like

It’s a bug, I reported it upstream weeks ago.

1 Like

Recent updates are very nice. Surely can be used as an EDD. On wayland using a hidpi screen … Firefox still shows slightly fuzzy fonts compared to crisp system fonts.

Is there an about:config setting in Firefox that corrects this?

Thanks,
GM

Just set the environment variable MOZ_ENABLE_WAYLAND=1.

This should definately be the default settings for the next manjaro release. Don’t see any reason why not (anymore)!

1 Like

Good idea, I’ve been doing it on my own machine since October anyway, and there are no issues of note.

2 Likes

So around three weeks later, I gave GNOME 40 a go. For beta software, it seems to be okay for the most part. I might do more intensive testings once we’ll be near the final release.

Although it is most likely far from being the main focus, integration of QT applications inside Manjaro GNOME will be something to check out and be polished. Here’s an example with qBittorrent. It doesn’t look very good to be honest.

By the way, nice work on zsh, although for me, it will more esthetical than anything else for most people. Someone in the team had too much fun with zsh? :upside_down_face:

1 Like

A bit offtopic but, but not complety as gnome is pioneer at bringing wayland and fractional scaling to us.

There is an issue in Firefox under wayland with fractional scaling for example set to 125% for me:

When klicking on the blue star symbol in the menu bar to edit a already set bookmark, the window is not drawn completely to the bottom. Don’t have time at the moment to check whether a bug report at mozilla already exists…

I confess, I have been ricing manjaro-zsh-config for years :blush:

It seems our qt theming is not applying at all on the test iso. Needs fixing.

1 Like

@Chrysostomus Some findings about manjaro-gnome-next-20.2-unstable-210228 -linux510.iso tested on laptop HP 8530p from live-USB without installing to laptop :

Great job done. :slightly_smiling_face: Tried with 5 simultaneous aps and switching between them goes very smoothly.

Only thing which I found was absence of ‘Shutdown’ (or ‘Close’) by mouse of selected apps in the dock/panel. This ‘Shutdown’ possibility is available now for almost all selected apps in the dock/panel by right-clicking the app and selecting ‘Shutdown’.