Gnome network display as sink

hi all,

laptop details:
cpu: intel i5 4th gen
old wifi/bluetooth combo device: ralink rt3290
added tp-link nano ac600 ub adapter, so that → better wifi + project screen on Manjaro laptop as second screen for office laptop

1. Installed dkms and rtl8821au-dkms-git, after reboot wifi working great
  2. Installed gnome network display, for miracast. But cant find way to make this Manjaro laptop a sink device to project office laptop screen in extended mode
  3. Manjaro is installed in dual mode with Windows 10, projct screen extend works well but I would lie to continue work on manjaro only

Please let me know if any infor required from my side.
Thanks for the help in advance

Have you tried testing with a dummy sink?

Thanks @Yochanan for the response
Tried with dummy sink, GNome Network Display started showing as streaming with vlc connected to it. From terminal:

   ~  NETWORK_DISPLAYS_DUMMY=1                                                                                                                            INT ✘ 
    ~  /usr/bin/flatpak run --branch=stable --arch=x86_64 --command=gnome-network-displays org.gnome.NetworkDisplays                                           ✔ 
Gtk-Message: 08:40:55.074: Failed to load module "xapp-gtk3-module"
Gtk-Message: 08:40:55.074: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"

** (gnome-network-displays:2): WARNING **: 08:40:55.278: Error initing screencast portal: Failed to create portal session (response: 2)

** (gnome-network-displays:2): WARNING **: 08:40:55.279: Falling back to X11! You need to fix your setup to avoid issues (XDG Portals and/or mutter screencasting support)!
** Message: 08:41:20.799: WfdClient: Got OPTIONS before getting reply querying WFD support; assuming normal RTSP connection.

Try the AUR package instead of the Flatpak, perhaps.

tried with AUR package, didnt worked
It searched Windows laptop, but connection failed

[vrushal-hppavilion15notebookpc vrushal]# NETWORK_DISPLAYS_DUMMY=1  
[vrushal-hppavilion15notebookpc vrushal]# gnome-network-displays

** (gnome-network-displays:2459): WARNING **: 09:42:48.546: Could not create screencast portal proxy: Error spawning command line “dbus-launch --autolaunch=805069b2a20
042f68b9d90cda5b98e8a --binary-syntax --close-stderr”: Child process exited with code 1

** (gnome-network-displays:2459): WARNING **: 09:42:48.546: Error initing screencast portal: Error spawning command line “dbus-launch --autolaunch=805069b2a20042f68b9d
90cda5b98e8a --binary-syntax --close-stderr”: Child process exited with code 1

** (gnome-network-displays:2459): WARNING **: 09:42:48.546: Falling back to X11! You need to fix your setup to avoid issues (XDG Portals and/or mutter screencasting su
pport)!

(gnome-network-displays:2459): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: 09:42:48.546: g_object_unref: assertion 'G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

** (gnome-network-displays:2459): WARNING **: 09:42:48.547: Error initializing pulse audio sink: PA failed

(gnome-network-displays:2459): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: 09:43:49.844: g_task_return_error_if_cancelled: assertion '!task->ever_returned' failed
^C
[vrushal-hppavilion15notebookpc vrushal]#

Do not run it as root.

NETWORK_DISPLAYS_DUMMY=1 is a variable, not a separate command. It needs to be run like this:

NETWORK_DISPLAYS_DUMMY=1 gnome-network-displays

Are you using PulseAudio or PipeWire?

Tip: When pasting terminal output on Discourse forums, one can either…

• Use the Preformatted text </> toolbar button–NOT the Quote " button.

• Add three backticks ` above and below the text (Markdown):

```
    type or paste code here
    ```

• Use HTML:

<pre><code>
    type or paste code here
    </pre></code>

I’ve done it for you this time. :wink: