Can't perform system update - dependencies problems?

Hello, I’m not that knowledgeable, I’m try to perform a system update, but I get stuck during installation from the konsole. I can usually update normally, don’t understand what’s happening now.

Any help is much appreciated. I’m pasting what’s happening during the install. It might provide clues for people that know more.

Thanks!

:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core                                                                                             146.8 KiB   367 KiB/s 00:00 [############################################################################] 100%
 extra                                                                                              8.6 MiB  9.33 MiB/s 00:01 [############################################################################] 100%
 multilib                                                                                         145.2 KiB  2.12 MiB/s 00:00 [############################################################################] 100%
:: Starting full system upgrade...
:: Replace kdsoap with extra/kdsoap-qt5? [Y/n] y
:: Replace kirigami-addons with extra/kirigami-addons5? [Y/n] y
warning: kpeoplevcard: local (0.1+r38.32d50a9-1) is newer than extra (0.1-2)
:: Replace kuserfeedback with extra/kuserfeedback5? [Y/n] y
:: Replace libqaccessibilityclient with extra/libqaccessibilityclient-qt5? [Y/n] y
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: installing kpeople5 (5.111.0-1) breaks dependency 'kpeople' required by kpeoplevcard
:: installing kcontacts5 (5.111.0-1) breaks dependency 'kcontacts' required by kpeoplevcard

Moderator edit: In the future, please use proper formatting: [HowTo] Post command output and file content as formatted text

Hi @pao, and welcome!

:bangbang: Tip: :bangbang:

In the future, when posting terminal output, copy the output and paste it here, wrapped in three (3) backticks, before AND after the pasted text. Like this:

```
pasted text
```

Or three (3) tilde signs, like this:

~~~
pasted text
~~~

This will just cause it to be rendered like this:

Sed
sollicitudin dolor
eget nisl elit id
condimentum
arcu erat varius
cursus sem quis eros.

Instead of like this:

Sed sollicitudin dolor eget nisl elit id condimentum arcu erat varius cursus sem quis eros.

Alternatively, paste the text you wish to format as terminal output, select all pasted text, and click the </> button on the taskbar. This will indent the whole pasted section with one TAB, causing it to render the same way as described above.

Thereby increasing legibility thus making it easier for those trying to provide assistance.

For more information, please see:

:bangbang::bangbang: Additionally

If your language isn’t English, please prepend any and all terminal commands with LC_ALL=C. For example:

LC_ALL=C bluetoothctl

This will just cause the terminal output to be in English, making it easier to understand and debug.

*phew*

What a mouth full…

Anyway, I’d solve it by uninstalling kpeoplevcard:

pamac remove kpeoplevcard

Doing the update:

pamac upgrade --no-aur

Reinstalling kpeoplevcard:

pamac install kpeoplevcard

And then rebuilding all AUR packages:

pamac upgrade --aur

Hope this helps!

2 Likes

Hi Mirdarthos!

Thanks for replying to fast. Appreciate your education. Let me put it to practice.

pamac remove kdsoap kirigami-addons kuserfeedback libqaccessibilityclient                                                                                                                       1 ✘ 
Preparing...
Checking dependencies...
Error: Failed to prepare transaction:
could not satisfy dependencies:
- removing kuserfeedback breaks dependency 'kuserfeedback' required by dolphin
- removing kirigami-addons breaks dependency 'kirigami-addons' required by kdeconnect
- removing kdsoap breaks dependency 'kdsoap' required by kdsoap-ws-discovery-client
- removing libqaccessibilityclient breaks dependency 'libqaccessibilityclient' required by kwin

Unfortunately, as you can see, your suggestion didn’t work for me.

Is there another way to sort this?

Thank you so much for your help.

Pao

The suggestion was just to remove the one package. Not these other 4.
You didnt follow the suggestion at all. :sweat_smile:

Then again, I dont think you should.

Instead:

sudo pacman -Syuu

Given that this was part of the update announcements from 11-06, I’m going to assume you will run into others as well.
Per usual check that thread and/or use the search button in the top right. :mag:

( Of course assuming you want these packages that is … I dont have it installed on my plasma :person_shrugging: )

Please read Announcements posts:

1 Like