GNOME 44 - How soon can we expect to see this in a future release?

Don’t panic NOW
Count to ten!

1 Like

After that’s been done it’s perfectly fine to panic.

4 Likes

I updated my Ubuntu install a couple of days ago. Call me Plasma fanboy but I think the only great thing to be excited about in Gnome 44 is Nautilus’ expandable folders [are back]. I guess I might had to look further though (spent more time updating it than playing with it) so sure thing missed some other goodies. But I had a feeling that there’s no reason to go crazy about the update. From the other side, everything I tried was working fine and I faced no errors (aside previous, long-standing ones - most likely my own oversights), so probably it won’t take much time to land G44 to Manjaro repos eventually.

3 Likes

I can understand how Nobara/Fedora would beat Manjaro to Gnome 44, but it is blowing me away that Ubuntu has beat Manjaro to Gnome 44 . Just shocking and unexpected. I can see it since Ubuntu Lobster is really technically the “testing” branch in a manner of thinking but …still… just shocked. Gnome 44 has not even arrived yet to Manjaro testing while Ubuntu and Nobara already have launched it . It’s pretty astounding.

If you use Arch-based distros and a new gnome version is upcoming, then you get it with the first point release one month later. There are 3rd party repos which provide the packages when upstream releases them. However those are designed for Arch and may only work on our unstable branch.

Manjaro in a nut-shell: we create snapshots of the Arch repositories, compile our overlay packages against that. Push a set of packages thru our branches until they land at some point in our stable branch.

So if Arch doesn’t have it, either we create overlay packages or wait.

5 Likes