GNOME 44 - How soon can we expect to see this in a future release?

GNOME 44 is now released and will soon become available in the Arch repository.

How soon can we expect to see this in a future release of Manjaro?

1 Like

It always depends on which branch you’re on. All packages land first in our unstable branch, after a while get pushed to testing and then in a couple of weeks to stable …

10 Likes

Ok, let’s say I’m on stable. When is GNOME 44 expected to land, provided that it’s still nowhere to be seen into the testing branch?

Summer of `69 - 2069 to be precise …

10 Likes

LOL… but the question remains :slight_smile: . Is there any group or dashboard to check the status of some notable packages? On other distros is usually easier to figure it out. And BTW, thanks for all the work…

As stated Summer 69` … 2069 to be precise …

3 Likes

Great song by the way.

Or you can grow some like I once did and update Gnome shell manually to the latest.

It will break your system. Don’t ask me how I know :upside_down_face:

But hey, if there’s a will, there’s a way. DIY your system :stuck_out_tongue: :dizzy_face: R.I.P.

There is some 3rd party repo for Arch which offers the latest Gnome packages always. However this is needed to been known before you try it:

• it is designed for Arch, hence you should switch to our unstable branch
  • if you go 1:1 on their guideline on how to integrate it to Arch it will remove pamac
  • since you’re on unstable branch of Manjaro you may have issues when you update but don’t check what gets updated as your system can be not as stable as you want when we compile new stuff
  • it is not recommended to use that repo at all as Manjarjo is not supported by it also not designed for it.
2 Likes

You can test GNOME 44 in Ubuntu 23.04 - but fortunately that’s not Manjaro, not even Arch… :rofl:

1 Like

When it’s ready. No sooner. No later.

3 Likes

On average , in the past, how long has a version of Gnome taken to go from testing to stable, on Manjaro?

Anyone know?

I remember reading something online that said, “a couple of weeks”. Which is why I chose stable. But is that accurate, or has it in the past generally taken months to years ?

thanks.

Yes, but better: No later. No sooner.

1 Like

Not so long, no.

I don’t even use Gnome, but allow me my soapbox-moment:

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, if you want it sooner, switch to testing/unstable, and help out by being part of testing and submitting bugs. If not, chill on stable, but then don’t complain if things take longer. Y’know, there’s only one way to get something unstable more stable.

It’s impossible to have both quickly adopted and stable.

1 Like

Oh. I agree and at the same time don’t see asking this question as a complaint. I think that it is obvious that by knowing the answer to my question here I will be better equipped to make a decision going forward, with zero complaint.

With Gnome it is like this:

• we sync the packages as soon as they pop up in Arch repos to our unstable branch
  • a lot of our Manjaro Team members use Gnome on their daily basis
  • we check if all extensions we ship with our Gnome Edition work with the new version (@Yochanan goes even so far to install Fabi’s packages to have the newest version when it pops up by upstream on his PC to test everything as needed)
  • when all goes well there will be a testing snap which the Manjaro community can test and give feedback
  • from then couple of weeks will pass until all hit the stable branch

So when will it happen? Maybe May or June - who knows …

6 Likes

I wonder if it will beat Ubuntu. Looks like Ubuntu Lunar gets Gnome 44 before Manjaro :man_shrugging:
I think Nobara is on 44 as well. I actually switched to Manjaro from Ubuntu cause I thought Gnome would be faster paced :man_facepalming:

Maybe I should switch to Manjaro Testing?

Then again, it sounds like Testing doesn’t have it either :thinking:

Hrm… what to do what to do.

1 Like

Switching branches is easy, although not without a risk. Make a backup before you switch to a different branch and update the system. Anyway, you can always switch back to any branch you like, but you cannot reverse the update (unless you restore the system from backup).

On a daily basis, I use testing branch, but if I really want to get the newest Plasma release, I switch to unstable, update the system, and switch back to testing.

sudo pacman-mirrors --api --set-branch unstable

In the above command, just change unstable to stable or testing, whatever you wish.

Unstable will have it even sooner.

That’s because of the curated part of Manjaro being a curated rolling release…

Easy:

• If you want a very stable system, chill. Also if unsure.
  • If you want it sooner, switch to Testing.
  • If you want it even sooner, switch to Unstable.
  • If you want it even sooner, switch to Arch.
6 Likes

Don’t panic.

2 Likes