Gnome 40 Release - Manjaro Timeline

I have also some issues with bluetooth in version 21.0.7. Is it possible to change to unstable branch, update and afterwards change back to stable branch?

Yes it is.

Agreed. Tried Fedora for a week and it’s brilliant with its vanilla Gnome 40 atm. Switched back because I had some issues with my VPN and Fedora is an absolute nightmare to get Docker up & running + Manjaro is a breeze when it comes to installing software.

Gnome 40 seems to solve a lot of issues I’m currently having with Mutter and my nvidia optimus setup. I had them on Pop, Manjaro Gnome but not on Fedora. Switched back to Manjaro Gnome and there they are again. It just feels more snappy too.

(edit: I must add that I don’t have any extensions enabled except for the pamac indicator and user themes)

Would be better to go testing first as I would imagine the unstable branch being, well… unstable.

“unstable” is a relative term - I’ve been using unstable branch as a daily driver for years now.

4 Likes

What packages do i have to upgrade from Testing to get gnome 40? If somebody could share that information, it would be appreciated.

All packages. It is all or nothing on a rolling distribution. No exceptions.

Thx, it worked like a charm. Hopefully, it will stay this way :smiley:

Fully agree. Imho, unstable branch is even more stable than stable branch. The majority of issues seem to slip through to stable anyways (sometimes even knowingly :frowning: ) and then you’re stuck with it for weeks whereas in unstable you get fixes much quicker.

I was on testing for about 2 years and then unstable roughly one year.
Never had any major issues. Of course you can have some quirks here and there, but all in all it is not that bad as the name “unstable” would suggest.

Also the majority of issues reported seem to be somewhat hardware/driver related. And you’re better of with those kind of issues in unstable anyways…

5 Likes

You could, but I switched from stable to testing branch and not to unstable. Make a good back up to be safe. Good luck :+1:

The only reason why that can be true sometimes is there’s not enough folks using the unstable and testing branch to catch some issues.

For those that didn’t already know: Manjaro unstable = Arch stable + Manjaro packages

8 Likes

Interesting… What were the worst moments of using the unstable branch? Out of curiosity just so I know.

1 Like

I cannot remember a single instance where my (and fellow forum members) ability to either

• adjust configs and/or workflows
  • find/apply a workaround
  • downgrade specific/problematic packages
  • restore a previous state
  • or live with upstream bugs till they were fixed

failed and left me with a non-workable system.
If it came to that, I could always “retreat” to testing or stable branch - yet I’ve never had the need to.

1 Like

@Yochanan: As you are a member of the Manjaro team, have you got news about the support of Gnome shell 40 for the stable branch and if a new Manjaro Gnome iso file with Gnome 40 (full supported) is scheduled for soon ?

Chrysostomus told three weeks ago that the support was sufficient at this point and it would soon moving to stable. Since, no more news.

Regards.

Moved to testing to try the Gnome 40 experience on manjaro and it’s so good. Ofcourse I only have the pamac update indicator en user themes enabled so I can’t speak for users that have more modifications to gnome running.

I have everything enabled, everything is fine, but there’s this annoying bug with pop shell where sometimes the window will be placed in half width as if you had another window on the workspace as well, this can only be fixed by switching the window to a different workspace. That’s pretty much it.

I tried these extensions with Gnome 40 (Manjaro): Applications-overview-tooltip, Big-Sur-Status-Area, Block-caribou-36, Gnome-shell-extension-improvedosk (from AUR), Sensor-perception. It works fine.
Dash to Panel is now supported for Gnome 40 (the last version available in Manjaro unstable branch works too).

who uses gnome is because they like gnome and don’t care about the workflow, why don’t they update gnome ?

Received the much awaited Gnome 40 stable release couple of days ago… great job! It had some minor issues related to dash-to-dock, which was resolved in today’s update… looking rock solid now. Thank you team Manjaro!

Released on Stable Update 2021-07-13