Glibc causing pacman/findmnt fail

I’ve done as @linux-aarhus suggested in https://forum.manjaro.org/t/glibc-causing-pacman-fail/103065

• Remove the archlinuxcn repo from pacman.conf
  • Change to unstable branch
pacman-mirrors -aS unstable -c Global
  • Run a full sync
pacman -Syyu

The system still reported:

findmnt: /usr/lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.34' not found (required by /usr/lib/libudev.so.1)

and

timeshift: /usr/lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.34' not found (required by /usr/lib/libsystemd.so.0)

I didn’t find hooks dir in /etc/pacman.d/, and I even can’t see if timeshift is running, since ps is also blocked by glibc failure:

[manjaro /]# ps
ps: /usr/lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.34' not found (required by /usr/lib/libsystemd.so.0)

Is there any way I can rescue the system?

BTW: And about what @Nachlese asked: yes, my old system is on /dev/sda1.
The output of lsblk -f before manjaro-chroot:

[manjaro@manjaro ~]$ lsblk -f
NAME   FSTYPE   FSVER            LABEL             UUID                                 FSAVAIL FSUSE% MOUNTPOINTS
loop0  squashfs 4.0                                                                           0   100% /run/miso/sfs/livefs
loop1  squashfs 4.0                                                                           0   100% /run/miso/sfs/mhwdfs
loop2  squashfs 4.0                                                                           0   100% /run/miso/sfs/desktopfs
loop3  squashfs 4.0                                                                           0   100% /run/miso/sfs/rootfs
sda                                                                                                    
└─sda1 ext4     1.0                                be4a5fec-3ebc-4436-b702-3b5fd6dad488   21.5G    86% /mnt
                                                                                                       /mnt/repchroot
sdb                                                                                                    
├─sdb1                                                                                                 
└─sdb2 ntfs                      D                 88D2DBD7D2DBC798                      142.6G    85% /mnt/data
sdc                                                                                                    
├─sdc1 ntfs                      UUI               BA0068AA00686EF7                                    
└─sdc4 iso9660  Joliet Extension MANJARO_XFCE_2122 2022-01-23-13-29-58-00                     0   100% /run/miso/bootmnt

The old system is on sda1, sdb is only for data storage, sdc is the live usb.
The output of lsblk -f after manjaro-chroot:

[manjaro /]# lsblk -f
lsblk: /usr/lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.34' not found (required by /usr/lib/libudev.so.1)

It’s a mess - from what I can see.

Something (findmnt and timeshift and lsblk - and probably more …) want glibc version 2.34

Arch has 2.35 right now
Manjaro stable has 2.33

I don’t know which one you have.

ldd --version
should tell you

So:
I don’t know how/where to start.

findmnt is in the util-linux package
so is lsblk
You could try reinstalling that from local cache.

Or you could try the glibc version 2.33 from local cache - if you where on stable branch and if you still have it in cache

ls -al /var/cache/pacman/pkg/util-linux*
ls -al /var/cache/pacman/pkg/glibc*

You could install packages from local cache with
pacman -U /var/cache/pacman/pkg/name_of_package

But no one knows how far your branch change to unstable went and what got replaced and what didn’t yet.

I cannot help - you can just experiment whether replacing glibc or util-linux or both will be enough to enable the update to go through.

Fun fact: Arch never shipped glibc 2.34: upgpkg: glibc 2.35-1 · archlinux/svntogit-packages@e4eb8d9 · GitHub

1 Like

I seem to recall reading that the 2.34 fiasco was caused by overzealous packagers building against the new glibc while it was still in testing…

This is no problem on “clean” Manjaro unstable.
Your problems originate in archlinuxcn repo usage.

Do not open another support topic for this same problem.

Re-download and re-install the failing packages.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/pacman#How_do_I_reinstall_all_packages,_retaining_information_on_whether_something_was_explicitly_installed_or_as_a_dependency