[git] Archtect CLI Installer fork for Manjaro (development & test)

cli
netinstall
git

Okay, I forked architect installer and modified it a bit to use basestrap, manjaro-chroot and fstabgen instead of original arch scripts. I should not work yet, because it needs to be amended to use manjaro kernels and mhwd at minimum. If anyone wants to contribute, there is to-do list included in the github repo:

1. Amend kernel to use manjaro kernels (function install_base, lines 1504-1591)
    • Script might produce bootable systems after this
    • Later add kernel choice menu
  2. Replace driver installation with mhwd (function setup_graphics_card, lines 1886-2066)
    • Should simplify code signicantly
  3. Amend package choice function (install_de_wm function, lines 2069-2145)
    to install manjaro edition package lists and desktop-settings packages.
    • Otherwise produced installations do not really resemble manjaro editions
  4. Make user creation and password setting part of the installer
    • use code from manjaro cli-installer
  5. Add support for btrfs submodules
    • use code from manjaro cli-installer
  6. Generate a proper fstab, even though system seems to boot fine without one.
  7. Add option to choose default shell
  8. Add support for openrc installations
    • I leave it to someone who actually uses openrc

Note that this is unlikely to become an official manjaro installer, it is just a personal project.

What happened to Manjaro Net edition?
Experience with architect Linux or other cli-installers?

I tinkered a bit further on the local copy. I pointed the installer to use manjaro kernels and added a line to run mhwd-kernel command in chroot to install the right kernel modules. In this form, the installer might even produce a bootable manjaro system. Driver installation part will probably still fail, because manjaro has some packages named differently.

Also, the installed system would not have any passwords set or users created… But one step at a time.

I’m liking the sound of all of that you are saying.

I took a new look at the architect installer code. It seems that it does have have items to create users and passwords and generate fstab. For some reason I have missed it. But it seems that the necessary to do list is much shorter than I thought.

Does anyone have good advice on how to use mhwd properly with basestrap on manual installation? @artoo @eugen-b @oberon Right now I scripted the installer to install chosen kernels with basestrap (to avoid installing a random kernel, because base group seems to depend on linux) and then run mhwd -I in manjaro-chroot, to install the necessary kernel modules for the installed system. Is this the correct way?

I have no idea, but maybe this helps
http://manjaro-arm.org/forums/wiki/creating-rootfs-using-basestrap-from-manjaro-tools/

After some thought, I would suggest to look how the Manjaro CLI Installer handled MHWD operations. They still should mostly work the same.

Difficultly arises from the fact that original installer unsquashes the image instead of basestrapping. But I’ll take a look at it. Good advice.

Okay, I have now updated the script to use mhwd for kernel and driver installation. I have not tried it yet, but if some brave soul wants to try it, it should theoretically now produce a bootable manjaro system. The desktop environment selection is still like in architect version.

The script requires dialog and manjaro-tools-base to run.

How to test it?
Boot with live ISO, save the script to /bin, install the dependencies and launch it?

Live iso is not necessary, if you install to a USB drive. The translation files need to be put to directory /aif-dev-master/. The script itself can be ran from where it happens to be, just run

/path/to/aif

Also, it may look funny with some terminal colors. I suggest launching it from as colorless terminal as possible. If using bspwm edition, launching a terminal with bash achieves this.

I’ll write a PKGBUILD for it when I have time.

I’m getting this error for right click the file and selecting “Run in Konsole” on KDE.

Warning: Could not start program '/home/eugen/aif-dev/aif' with arguments '/home/eugen/aif-dev/aif'.

Warning: execve: Exec format error

This might be Konsole related.
In Xterm it opens.
And it opens in Konsole with /bin/bash ~/aif-dev/aif

Good to know. Thanks!

I started modifying the desktop selection to install manjaro editions. In the beginning I won’t implement support for openrc and some other stuff for simplicitys sake. Also, non user specific settings in different editions are not installed. Just packages and desktop-settings.

• There is no option for btrfs subvolumes.
  • The installer uses Arch mirrorlist.
  • It doesn’t proceed after selecting base package, the error message is “At least one kernel must be selected”, but it is selected.

Thanks for the useful data! Adding btrfs subvolume support is on the to do list

I just got an (cool but unfeasible) idea: installer could setup grub-btrfs and snap-pac on btrfs systems, letting user always rollback after pacman update. Not that I can implement it, but it would be awesome.

I had exceptionally much time to use these last few days. The development speed is going to reduce drastically from now. I’ll focus on fixing on the two issues @eugen-b mentioned (wrong mirrors, installation won’t proceed after kernel choice). Then desktop choice and packaging this thing.

That’s the coolest thing in all of 2017! :wink:

Seriously, this is a very cool thing you are doing. It has the potential to help users learn just a bit more about Arch & Linux–what great attributes! :smiley:

Of course, this procedure will require at least one more forum fixed topic category, and I anticipate a slew of Q&A from users as they learn it. But that is exactly what these forums are for. :smiley:

You are going to write the documentation for this prior to publishing, nay? :wink: :wink: :wink:

Regards

The thing is in early stages, too early for a user documentation, IMO.

I’m just giving @Chrysostomus mild programmer grief, @eugen-b. No programmer has ever willingly written documentation, not ever in recorded history. :wink:

Regards

Those who know do not talk (write) and those who talk (write) do not know.
                                    - - - A Chinese saying  [1]

[1] - I’m Chinese and I’m saying it. :sunglasses:

I prefer discoverability over documentation when it comes to interactive programs. Architect installer is already really good in this regard.
But really, odds of finding enough time to write documentation are not very high. Good thing we have other users with a talent for this.