General question about AMD laptops and Manjaro

Hi @visone,
nor errors during installation wth Architect (which performs basically fine).
GRUB is working fine as well: Windows starts no problem and performs like a charm, Manjaro shows the usual “drive/partition data” in the first line and then goes black. I assume just after graphic is initialized. It’s not possible to interact anymore (no other TTY etc.). The Architect is as well only starting through with GRUB parameter “nomodeset”, w/o that it hangs already starting Architect.

If you are interested in "my story"have a look here:
https://forum.manjaro.org/t/impossible-installation-on-hp-455-g7-amd-renoir-4500u/26755

In the meantime the rootcause was identified as a noncompliant BIOS setting (maybe due to BIOS update). Manjaro 20.1 performs excellent, as well in a Win 10 dualboot environment.

Sorry I didn’t notice your question earlier.

When I initially installed, I used the GNOME 20.0 iso, but by now I’ve upgraded to 20.1.2. I had no troubles with the 5.6 kernel booting, using the stock firmware. I was glad to find recently that the 5.8 and 5.9 series kernels have a fix (I think to amdgpu) so that the gdm login screen comes up without a problem at boot, without having to first switch to a text console and back. I’m running 5.9 at this point and am happy with it.

Anyway, I’m glad it sounds like it worked out for you.