Fstab cannot mount ntfs drives

I have 2 ntfs disks on my computer and I want to mount them when booting

so I edited fstab like this

/dev/nvme0n1p1          /boot           vfat            rw,relatime,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=437,iocharset=ascii,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro  0 2
/dev/nvme0n1p3         /home/firestar/C        ntfs    default,noatime 0 0
/dev/nvme0n1p4          /               ext4            rw,relatime     0 1
/dev/nvme0n1p5         /home/firestar/D        ntfs    default,noatime 0 0

then I rebooted and crash into emergency mode, this is the journal:

ThinkPad mount[315]: mount: /home/firestar/C: unknown filesystem type 'ntfs'.

I tried editing /etc/udev/rules.d/ntfs3_by_default.rules: (NTFS - ArchWiki)

SUBSYSTEM=="block", ENV{ID_FS_TYPE}=="ntfs", ENV{ID_FS_TYPE}=="ntfs3"

but the same issue happened

Maybe you are safer with the ntfs-3g

if you want to use the ntfs3 ā€¦ do you have the ntfs3-dkms from AUR installed?

maybe iā€™m wrong, but you want to mount the ntfs drive before the root is mounted and probably you also have the home on that / root partition ?

2 Likes

i think the file-system type should be ntfs3 not simply ntfs provided you are using kernel 5.15 or later.

udev rules apply to auto-mounting after booting.

only required if you are using a kernel older than 5.15

1 Like

It seems that the solution is

/dev/nvme0n1p3         /home/firestar/C        ntfs    noatime 0 0

This is not an answer to the question, or any question here, really. Itā€™s just a suggestion. Try using systemd mounts, instead. It works wonders, is easy and I donā€™t think youā€™ll crash like you mentioned above.

I think editing fstab is rather over-rated.

Why donā€™t you edit your fstab - delete the entry, then use something like gnome-disk to mount and write the fstab for you?

I usually grab gnome-disks to do that, then I purge it. I generally go with ā€˜labelā€™ so that my ā€˜T2ā€™ disk would be mounted ā€˜/mnt/T2ā€™ but you can define it easily with gnome-disks.

After this, the step to do systemd mounts is much more trivial.

1 Like

Because GDU usually writes bullsh1t in the file? LOL The few times I trusted it with FSTAB, the system wouldnā€™t automount the drives upon startup, so I started editing it manually, just like everybody else. Not to mention that GDU doesnā€™t write things like ā€œno_prefetch_block_bitmapsā€.

My advice to the OP - stick to ntfs-3g for now. The driver ā€œntfsā€ is still new and has lots of bugs, whereas ntfs-3g may be old but itā€™s bugs free. I know about the existence of ntfs but Iā€™m still using ntfs-3g because it works as expected.

1 Like

because I do not want to install a software like gnomedisk or kdepartitionmanager

I used to use them but I found out that they do the same thing as editing fstab

Right - thatā€™s your choice.

I havenā€™t edited an fstab file for a couple of years now - one mistake and itā€™s a big problem.

# <file system>             <mount point>  <type>  <options>  <dump>  <pass>
UUID=D6F6-864F                            /boot/efi      vfat    umask=0077 0 2
UUID=24f184f8-2701-427e-b4de-61f31c4ec1b8 /              btrfs   subvol=/@,defaults,discard=async,ssd 0 0
UUID=24f184f8-2701-427e-b4de-61f31c4ec1b8 /home          btrfs   subvol=/@home,defaults,discard=async,ssd 0 0
UUID=24f184f8-2701-427e-b4de-61f31c4ec1b8 /var/cache     btrfs   subvol=/@cache,defaults,discard=async,ssd 0 0
UUID=24f184f8-2701-427e-b4de-61f31c4ec1b8 /var/log       btrfs   subvol=/@log,defaults,discard=async,ssd 0 0
UUID=24f184f8-2701-427e-b4de-61f31c4ec1b8 /swap          btrfs   subvol=/@swap,defaults,discard=async,ssd 0 0
/swap/swapfile                            swap           swap    defaults,noatime 0 0
tmpfs                                     /tmp           tmpfs   defaults,noatime,mode=1777 0 0
/dev/disk/by-partlabel/W10 /mnt/W10 auto nosuid,nodev,nofail,x-gvfs-show 0 0
LABEL=T4 /mnt/T4 auto nosuid,nodev,nofail,x-gvfs-show 0 0
/dev/disk/by-partlabel/NTFS /mnt/NTFS auto nosuid,nodev,nofail,x-gvfs-show 0 0
LABEL=T3 /mnt/T3 auto nosuid,nodev,nofail,x-gvfs-show 0 0
LABEL=W2 /mnt/W2 auto nosuid,nodev,nofail,x-gvfs-show 0 0
LABEL=NTFS /mnt/NTFS auto nosuid,nodev,nofail,x-gvfs-show 0 0

It only takes seconds to use gnome-disk to set the mount, then purge it - and it never made mistakes for meā€¦ but youā€™re here because your fstab isnā€™t working. My solution to that is to delete all of the extra mounts and have the fstab re-generated for me.

It worked for me for 3 years now - I have a Windows 10 plus an NTFS shared storage partition and never any issues - also I have no ā€˜ntfs-3gā€™ in thereā€¦

but you do it your way :wink: Iā€™m sure itā€™s better.