Fresh Manjaro install - Realtek rtl8821ce - No internet connection

Ok, so I’ve seen a lot of troubleshooting and posts related to this topic but none were able to solve my problem for a simple reason: all of them assume that I can obtain some kind of connection by other means whilst running Manjaro in order to fix the Wi-Fi problem.

The thing is: my notebook does not have an Ethernet port and I don’t have any Wi-Fi adapters/dongles.

I’ve been stuck at this for hours and could not find any satisfactory answer to this paradox that doesn’t involve finding a way to connect to the internet and fetching the relevant packages from AUR.

Please note: I am fully aware that other posts have (tried) to solve the Realtek Wi-Fi driver problem on Arch/Manjaro, but that is not my problem - at least, not now. I can’t even try those solutions simply because I can’t go online.

Is there a way to download these packages/drivers to an outside source, say a ext4 flash drive? If so, how would I do it?

Thanks a lot in advance.

install rtl8821-dkms-git from here
do

git clone https://aur.archlinux.org/rtl8821ce-dkms-git.git

cd rtl8821ce-dkms-git

makepkg -si

you are done

1 Like

befor clone git… install dkms, linuxXX-headers and base-devel (all)

linuxXX = Installed Linux Kernel Version e.g. linux516

sudo pacman - S base-devel dkms linuxXX-headers

1 Like

Thanks for your quick answer and sorry for my noobness, but where exactly should I use these commands? Will they work on the Manjaro terminal even without internet? Tks!

Same thing I said to @GOD1 above: where exactly should I use these commands & will they work on the Manjaro terminal even without internet?

Hi @anorm4u, and welcome!

What they mention is installing the drivers from the AUR:

$ pamac search rtl8821ce
rtl8821ce-dkms-git                                                                                                                                                                                                                1.0.5.r36.gca4abd8-1  AUR
rtl8821CE driver with firmware

I’d recommend installing them with pamac. Especially since you are a bit new, as it just makes it that much easier. So open a terminal, and run:

pamac build rtl8821ce-dkms-git

Hope this helps!

1 Like

You do need an internet connection. If you have an Android phone I believe a USB hotspot works out of the box

1 Like

Yeah, that’s exactly the problem :confused: I do not have an Android, but I might me able to get It from a friend so I can try the the above! As of yet though no one came up with any offline solutions which is what I need. Thanks a lot!

Thanks buddy! But the problem is: all this requires an online connection which I dont have because of the driver/firmware problem. Do you know of any offline solutions to this?

Few offline solutions I’ve tried in the past:

1. Make a custom Manjaro ISO on a different PC with the AUR package you need, instructions for this can be found here: Build Manjaro ISOs with buildiso - Manjaro

2. Same as above but instead of the Wi-Fi driver you simply include the libimobiledevice package you need to USB tether from an iPhone. Along with instructions to build ISO you will need to follow this

3. Include packages you need on another USB stick then install locally with pacman -U, however I am not 100% sure this will work since the Manjaro install is out of date. If you are trying this, try the libimobiledevice package first.

1 Like

@GOD1’s option is semi-offline:

You can download it elsewhere and install it on your PC. However, you’d still need the headers for your kernel, as well as the base-devel package.

So, I’d rather recommend that you try and find a temporary way of connecting to the internet.

1 Like

usb tethering is one of temporary way to access internet

1 Like